Redemption by C. J. Barry

Redemption

by C. J. Barry

197537,190 (3.38)None

I snagged this while it was available as a read it now from Netgalley.

Started off pretty good, good writing, interesting plot and likeable characters. A new idea in the urban fantasy genre. Unfortunately the more I read around the half way through mark the story failed for me.

I still liked the main characters, but the plot and the mythology in the book got on my nerves and ended up irritating the hell out of me so in the end I was glad to be finally done with it. Not going to go into details because it would he major major spoilers.

I would definitely read something by this author again, I liked the writing style, but this book didn't work for me. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
**I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, from the Author and Publisher for a honest review**

This was a good story, even though it wasn't exactly what I expected or really my type. I expected it to be more of a paranormal romance. However even if it lacked the romance that I had anticipated it was still a good paranormal book. There is romance though, just a bit.

For me this story started off strong, but then had so much background that I almost felt lost at times. But it was very thought through and well explained for the most part.

Reya is a redeemer who's job is to go to those that have been pretty evil during their life: rapists, murders, child molesters, abusers, and those you have made millions off their greed. I could go on, but basically a combination of the above and other horrific things you can think of. That is what her jobs consist of. So she goes to these evil doers before their deaths and tells them their sins, and then asks if they are sorry. This is their chance to redeem their souls, to choose the right path. Because as much as the rest of us hope these type of people will burn in Hell, everyone is able to ask for forgiveness, given a second chance.

Thane is a cop who works in the paranormal unit. Even though no one believes in paranormal happenings, the unit is basically for when the "crazies" call in and say they seen this or that. His unit is for the unexplainable crimes. Thane's soul is nor good or evil, but straddling the line. He has done things that are unmoral but most of us would see as justice. But whether justice is served or not is not what is important, it is the decisions we all make that affect our soul. If we do a bad thing for a good reason, it is still bad and goes against our soul, no matter how many lives we may save.

Thane and his partner Martin are assigned to the mysterious deaths that have been ruled accidental, however in every video Reya has been to the victim before their death. This makes her a suspect. Not to mention Thane feels in his gut that she is involved. But when he meets her and finds out what is going on he's in for a surprise. Not only is she innocent, but now he is about to wake up and face his destiny, one he never knew existed, one he never could of imagined. In the end will he find his redemption too? ( )
  Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |

Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |
Redemption is the latest book by C.J. Barry, author of multiple science fiction romance series. As I thought about this book review I had mixed feelings. This is the first of a series of books and I do look forward to the next book, but this one made me wonder if there’s a line between speculative fiction and religious fiction.

For me, this book skated close to the line on religious messages. I liked the concept that there is always time for redemption, but I started to feel like I was getting a sermon in a few places. That said, it’s a solid romance, and it’s hot. The world that C.J. created is, at the same time, familiar and strange. It has an almost comic book (oops graphic novel) quality.

You’ll like this book if you like stories that present you with romance and fantasy and a helping of spirituality. ( )
  Perrywilson | May 25, 2014 |
4.5 stars. Reya is an immortal being called a Redeemer; her job is to confront thoroughly evil people, just before they are scheduled to die, to offer them once last chance to turn their lives around. If she performs her job well enough, and in accordance with the ba-zillions of irritating and ridiculous rules set up by the Powers That Be, not only can she redeem those souls, but her own soul, and just possibly, help the planet Earth itself move more firmly into the light. If she fails... not only her own soul, but all or Earth could be plunged into spiritual darkness.

I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Thane is a rulebreaker, a cop gone dirty for the right reasons - at least in his mind. He's killed a lowlife scum more than once, he's planted evidence, and more than anything else, he'd like revenge on the man? who killed his father. He's also coming into some very special paranormal powers of his own, and of course, Thane and Reya must work together.

This story puts a whole new twist on the concept of "the ex-boyfriend from Hell." It offers angels and demons and paranormal critters while tying them more to a New-Agey reincarnation spiritual theme, ALTHOUGH it doesn't talk trash about any traditional religions or churches, either. And the most unexpected people step to the plate and turn out to be heroes.

I really enjoyed the pacing, the slow reveal of the rules for this world, and the way in the end, the key wasn't smarts alone, but love. This seems to be the first in a series but has its own satisfying ending; not a cliffhanger. ( )
  writerbeverly | May 1, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,873,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible