The Gravity Between Us by Kristen Zimmer

The Gravity Between Us

by Kristen Zimmer

2013 (2) 2014 (2) AAR (1) acting (1) actors (1) best friends (1) celebrity (1) ebook (2) f/f (2) fiction (6) for fun (1) friendship (1) gltb (1) goodreads (1) Hollywood (3) imported (1) July (1) Kindle (1) lesbian (5) lgbt (1) LGBTQ (2) music (2) new-adult (4) not audible (1) not-for-me (2) read (1) romance (7) to-read (11) YA (1) young adult (5)

Heartwarming and authentic

The early part of the story, where it alternates between the perspectives of the two protagonists as they fall, headlong into mutually unrequited love with each other (which, of course, means it is anything BUT unrequited, but they don't know that) is one of the best written examples of that story line that I have ever read. The erotica sections of the story are really minor and not particularly necessary, though fairly well written. ( )
  Zensunni42 | Nov 15, 2016 |
Debunking the enviable life of fame and glamour, Zimmer offers us a window into the lives of starlets and how those lives effect their friends and family. Written using a trade-off perspective between two bestfriends who've somewhat drifted apart as their professional lives have drawn them in different directions, it would be a disservice to simply classify the Gravity Between Us (an absolutely terrific song btw) as young adult lesbian romance. Kendall, the up-and-coming premier Hollywood actress, although highly successful and already wise in the ways of stardom, is struggling with feelings of detachment from her somwhat-estranged bestfriend. Payton, a film composer who's settled on a school where composition isn't taught, is also struggling with the loss of Kendall in her life. Yet, for Payton the separation is much harder--although they'd been friends forever, somewhere along the line Payton developed feelings for Kendall and won't let herself broach them to her a bestfriend she's terrified of losing.

What i enjoyed most about Gravity was Kendall and Payton's character development. Kendall is constantly fighting the battle for individuality in a field where all of her life choices have already been made for her. Payton, having been transplanted into Beverly Hills and finding herself downgraded from being treated as an intellectual by her peers to that of arm-candy by the paparazzi, suffers almost daily with feelings of unrequited love, martyrdom and deep loss. Additionally, I enjoyed the way Zimmer painted Hollywood, contrary to what many must imagine to be a life of ease, to be instead a muzzle or trap that actors walk into knowingly. Finally, although it's trite, Kendall's lifestyle embodies the timeless lesson that money simply cannot buy happiness--placing fame and fortune above love and personal freedom is no way to live.

So then for the criticism: I honestly couldn't put myself in Kendall's shoes. Kendall never once stopped to think she might be bisexual and simply wrote off her past relationships with men since they were not as fulfilling as being with Payton. I also wasn't the hugest fan of Lauren's character (no doubt, the reader isn't supposed to like her) in that her representation of out gay woman in Hollywood was more than a little shallow. Lauren also gave up on Payton way too easily and it struct me as unrealistic that she would have been able to repress her obvious feelings for Payton while they were living together. ( )
  senbei | Jun 23, 2015 |
I don't read much romantic YA as the repetitive plots and vapid leads don't usually interest me, but this book is #1 in amazon--has been for a while now, so I thought maybe there's more to it. Turns out I was right.

The author takes the usual YA themes of unrequited love, falling for your best friend, sexual confusion and coming out issues, wraps them in an engrossing plot, throws in engaging characters and dialogue, and voila, a YA book that even adults will enjoy.

I like how the first person POV alternates between the two ladies so we get to know both of them equally well. The inner monologues are witty and often hilarious. 300 pages here but not a dull moment. There are some angsty bits but overall, its a light and sappy read perfect for romance readers of all ages.

p.s. Excellent cover too--perfect for the book.
  Jemology | Dec 29, 2014 |
To my mother, for encouraging me to chase my dreams and believing wholeheartedly that I could turn them into reality. Thank you.

To Elizabeth, My beacon of hope, my light in a dark world; I love you.

To Oliver Rhodes, Jenny Hutton and Jena Roach, You've all helped shape this story in such lovely ways. I am so grateful to you for your dedication and guidance.

To Mark Falkin, Thanks you for finding this book the perfect home.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 190949013X, Paperback)

The Gravity Between Us is a daring, romantic, emotional story about friendship, love, and finding the courage to be yourself in a crazy world. New Adult novel: recommended for 17+ due to mature themes and sexual content. "It's like there's gravity between us, like she's the only thing anchoring me to the world, keeping me from floating off into the upper stratosphere and being lost in space. I can't risk losing her." Where does friendship stop and love begin? At just 19, Kendall Bettencourt is Hollywood's hottest young starlet with the world at her feet - but behind the glamour and designer dresses is a girl who longs for normal. Payton Taylor is Kendall's best friend since childhood, and the one person who reminds her of who she really is - her refuge from the craziness of celebrity life. With her career taking off, Kendall moves Payton to LA to help keep her sane. But Payton is hiding a secret that could make everything ten times worse. Because to her, Kendall is more than a best friend - she is the only girl that she has ever loved. Just as they need each other more than ever, they'll have to answer the question of where friendship stops and love begins? And find out whether the feelings they have can survive the mounting pressure of fame...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,983,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible