GI Brides: The Wartime Girls Who Crossed the…

GI Brides: The Wartime Girls Who Crossed the Atlantic for Love

by Duncan Barrett, Nuala Calvi

3.5 ( )
  Dawnssj | Jan 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
GI Brides explores the lives of four British women who marry American soldiers during World War II. They fall in love with a military soldier, marry, and emigrate to the United States with their military husbands. While each woman married for love, they mostly struggled with their new life in the United States. What followed was mostly disappointment and sadness. This was a rather depressing read overall, but I was glad I read it. I'm sure it was an extremely difficult time. I liked the content, but the writing was poor. I won this through a LibraryThing giveaway! Thank you! ( )
  patsaintsfan | May 6, 2017 |
GI Bride tells the life and loves of four young girls who fall in love with and marry four G.I.'s, set during World War II and after. I was surprised to learn how difficult it was for American G.I.'s to marry a woman from Britain and the European Union, but so many did even though the diversity. I found fascinating the stories the authors told of the women's trouble getting to America and how they became accustom to a new life in the USA. A true story which I didn't realize until the end. I enjoyed this book because it was entertaining and informative and shows life is not all like a romantic movie. ( )
  JCGirl | Oct 13, 2016 |
Really interesting stories of several women who married soldiers in England during WW2 and then followed them home to the U.S. Some marriages worked, others didn't -- This book gives us a peek into the thoughts and feelings that made the difference. Also, it is eye-opening to see American culture from another's point of view. I didn't realize that England and America were so different. Heart-warming and engaging. ( )
  TerriBooks | Aug 24, 2016 |
I received this as a Goodreads giveaway so mine didn't have the photos that some people have talked about. I would love to see photos of these brave women who took a chance on the love they found with the U.S. GI's who they barely knew. When the U.S. soldiers were sent to England, England had already been in the war for two years and many of their young men were gone fighting. This left a lot of women to pick up the slack back home and left them time with the GI's who gave them gifts of goodies they hadn't seen in quite some time. A lot of these women went back to America to a life they never imagined. Some good but a lot not so good. This book is written by a granddaughter of one of the women featured. I am fascinated with everything to do with WWII and this is yet another side I didn't really know much about. I knew a lot of British women married and moved to America but I didn't know much about their lives. This book is so beautifully written and makes you fall in love with these women. Some of them I was saddened to see what their husbands became and others I was so happy they ended up with a good guy. I recommend this book if you want to know a little bit about what happened during WWII. I wanted to read the book instead of work. It was hard to go back to work after my lunch hour was over. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |

Duncan Barrettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Calvi, Nualamain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Sunday Times bestseller From the bestselling authors of The Sugar Girls, G.I. Brides weaves together the real-life stories of four women who crossed the ocean for love, providing a moving true tale of romance and resilience. The 'friendly invasion' of Britain by over a million American G.I.s caused a sensation amongst a generation of young women deprived of male company during the Second World War. With their exotic accents, smart uniforms and aura of Hollywood glamour, the G.I.s soon had the local girls queuing up for a date, and the British boys off fighting abroad turning green with envy. But American soldiers offered something even more tantalising than a ready supply of chocolate, chewing gum and nylon stockings. Becoming a G.I. bride provided an escape route from Blitz-ravaged Britain, an opportunity for a whole new life in America - a country that was more affluent, more modern and less class-ridden than home. Some 70,000 G.I. brides crossed the Atlantic at the end of the war to join the men who had captured their hearts - but the long voyage was just the beginning of a much bigger journey. Once there, the women would have to adapt to a foreign culture and a new way of life thousands of miles away from family and friends, with a man they hardly knew out of uniform. Some struggled with the isolation of life in rural America, or found their heroic soldier was less appealing once he returned to Civvy Street. But most persevered, determined to turn their wartime romance into a lifelong love affair, and prove to those back home that it really was possible to have a Hollywood ending. www.gibrides.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:00 -0400)

"Worn down by years of war and hardship, girls like Sylvia, Margaret, and Gwendolyn were thrilled when American GI's arrived in Britain with their exotic accents, handsome uniforms and aura of Hollywood glamor. Others, like Rae, who distrusted the Yanks, were eventually won over by their easy charm. So when VE Day finally came, for the 70,000 women who'd become GI brides, it was tinged with sadness--it meant leaving their homeland behind to follow their husbands across the Atlantic. And the long voyage was just the beginning of an even bigger journey. Adapting to a new culture thousands of miles from home, often with a man they barely knew, was difficult-but these women survived the Blitz and could cope with anything. GI BRIDES shares the sweeping, compelling, and moving true stories of four women who gave up everything and crossed an ocean for love"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Duncan Barrett's book G.I. Brides was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible