My Secret Sir

My Secret Sir

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byRobert.Zimmermann

No tags.

Real rating: 3.5/5, but I round up when no half-stars are available.

I’ve read Jenna Fox’s first released short story, [b:The Escape|18108666|The Escape|Jenna Fox|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1371851425s/18108666.jpg|25431162], but wasn’t aware that her writing also ventures into poetry. It was a pleasant surprise to see Fox publishing an erotic poem.

This poem got a 3.5 out of 5 stars from me, and that’s because there were some things I felt worked well, but also a few things that irked me reading it. Overall, though, I feel it’s a great attempt at an erotic poem (something which I find hard to write) and I’m sure Jenna has more in store for her readers.

For those who know me, I’m not a big fan of poems with end-rhyme being the dominant way to finish off lines. This poem makes use of this rhyming, and a few times, I feel it actually worked for the poem. At other times, it felt forced and disrupted the flow of words. There were a few changes in the rhythm, word choice, etc that got in the way. Despite this, there were a few lines with great imagery and those stuck out to me.

Jenna did a great job of introducing the story behind the poem to the reader. I think I enjoyed reading it as a poem, with limited detail and more use of the reader’s imagination more than if it were a short story where there’s more room for the narrator to tell too much. The “secret” part of the title and the “rule” in the characters’ relationship was greatly aided by the reader being “blind” to many details, as well.

I hope Fox puts out more poetry soon. I have a feeling I’d enjoy it. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,154,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible