The Choice of Dogs and other poems by Pablo…

The Choice of Dogs and other poems

by Pablo D'Stair

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byRobert.Zimmermann

My first impression of Pablo D'Stair's poetry came from a poem in his folio series, "an old song for wrong women." I have read through it once so far, and to be honest, it went right over my head. I'm not necessarily saying that it was a bad poem; it just might not have been the poem for me.
After the folio poem, I downloaded a copy of "The Choice of Dogs and Other Poems," because I wanted to check out more of the poet's work. I can't judge someone on only one poem. My reaction to reading these poems was the complete opposite of my reaction toward "an old song."
At first, I saw D'Stair's lack of punctuation to be an obstacle when reading. In my way of reading, punctuation is a way to pause for breath, emphasize, and to traditionally make a thought complete. With the lack of a period anywhere in the work (if there were a few, I missed them), the poems were given a bit of life. Lines and stanzas weren't confined to a rigid way of being read. There are different ways to read each poems and each way brings on a different experience.
A problem that I had found getting in my way while reading "an old song" was repetition of words or phrases. Often in poems that have immediate repetition, it turns me off because, even though an emphasis may be what the poet wants out of that phrase, my attention span can't handle reading the same thing over and over again. There was repetition written throughout this collection, but it worked with the poems beautifully. Not once did it seem to get in the way.
I found there to be a beautiful flow throughout all the poems that couldn't be overlooked. This flow is a contributing factor to why the repetition didn't bother me this time around. It worked its way nicely in the overall flow, making a music that compelled me to read on.
There were a few lines as well that I wish I took the time to write down so I could quote them in this review. I'll just have to go back and reread this collection again. I will enjoy every minute of doing so.
I look forward to reading more poetry from Pablo D'Stair when the next installments of the folio series come in, as well as read some of his prose writings. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,568,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible