Random by Tom Leveen

Random

by Tom Leveen

English (3)  German (1)  All (4)
Tori’s life as she knew it is officially over. None of her friends want anything to do with her, random strangers write her insults, reporters won’t leave her alone, and her parents can’t even look at her normally. Even her brother hates her guts. Read the rest of the review on my blog "Should I Read it or Not?": http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/05/13/random-tom-leveen/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“Who’s the real victim here? This tense and gripping exploration of cyberbullying and teen suicide is perfect for fans of Before I Fall and Thirteen Reasons Why.

Late at night Tori receives a random phone call. It’s a wrong number. But the caller seems to want to talk, so she stays on the line.
He asks for a single thing—one reason not to kill himself.
The request plunges her into confusion. Because if this random caller actually does what he plans, he’ll be the second person connected to Tori to take his own life. And the first just might land her in jail. After her Facebook page became Exhibit A in a tragic national news story about cyberbullying, Tori can’t help but suspect the caller is a fraud. But what if he’s not? Her words alone may hold the power of life or death.

With the clock ticking, Tori has little time to save a stranger—and maybe redeem herself—leading to a startling conclusion that changes everything…”

Continue reading...
  shelfreflection | Sep 3, 2014 |
Alright, when I first received this book I was excited to read it because I love stories that showcase true, realistic characters/situations. I did enjoy the book but the ending is not what I expected.

Plot: This story is about a girl how bullied a kid online and he killed himself. In the midst of court/school/family drama, Tori receives a phone call that changes her life forever. I felt like this plot is a good plot that not only flows well but tells a really good story. So many times we see these situation in the news and it can be hard to understand yet this story places the reader where the can see it from every point of view.

Bullying: Before I go on to my last point, I want to say that what this girl did is wrong. She may have thought she was “playing around” but words hurt. I definitely do believe that she should have consequences for what she did.

Ending: This is a major spoiler alert, so please highlight is you want more detail. HIGHLIGHT BELOW:

At the end of the book, it has come out that Tori’s brother set her up. He had a friend call her, keep her up all night threatening to kill himself all to “teach her a lesson.” This the part that really grinded my gears. I get what he is trying to do, but it is not up to him or anyone to “teach” someone a lesson. If people are going to learn from their mistakes, THEY must learn it. This part reminded me of the Saw movies. And those movies make me sick. Who in the right mind can go around “teaching people lessons” with torture. I mean really, who will learn from that!! I’m not a fan of the ending and the fact that someone thinks that they have a right to do that to someone is just…idk. I don’t like it. As I said, I get the reasoning behind it because Tori did need to understand that what she did is wrong but do to it that way..to take matters into your own hand to “teach” someone is not right. It seems more of a revenge than a lesson. Like, the only way your going to learn is to have someone do it to you. No. Just no.

Anywhoo, I’m not sure if anyone else felt that way but the ending just threw me off. Overall, the book is still quite good in the lesson it is staying. Don’t bully. Even if you think that it is a joke, words can not be taken back once said. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Aug 29, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,081,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible