The Undesired by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

The Undesired

by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

Other authors: Tiril Theresa Myklebost (Translator)

I read several of Sigurdadottir's novels when she first started writing, but stopped when they became too obviously formulaic. I had especially liked the insight into Icelandic culture and history she included in those books. This volume is a standalone, medium weight mystery (not a police procedural) that merges several storylines (from the current to the 1970s) to a satisfying conclusion. I wouldn't put her in the top tier of my crime reading, but it's a worthy read if you are in need of distraction. ( )
  avaland | Jul 9, 2017 |
The story builds slowly weaving an exciting tale that is both spooky and haunting. ( )
  elizapoppy | Mar 10, 2017 |
An interestingly constructed stand-alone book with dual and seemingly unconnected time frames. which of course are not.

The final resolution of the story relies on a coincidence that stretched credibility a little, but even so the writing is wonderful and there is a little twist to the tale at the end that leaves the reader wondering. ( )
  smik | Sep 29, 2016 |
AUTHOR Sigurdardottir, Yrsa
TITLE: The Undesired
DATE READ: 03/01
RATING 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Crime Fiction/ 2015 / Hodder & Stoughton / 353 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: SA
CHARACTERS Odinn/ single father Run/ his daughter
TIME/PLACE: Present / Iceland
FIRST LINES Odinn Hafsteinsson missed the heft of a hammer in his hand, missed taking aim, raining down blows on a four-inch galvanised nail.
COMMENTS: Really enjoyed this one & will read more by this author. Odinn used to work for his successful brother in a more physical-oriented business (construction) . When his former wife dies accidentally he becomes the full-time father for his young daughter and his career path changes to one w/ more regular hours. His x-wife's death is a bit of a mystery -- falling from her window. There is the hint that someone else may have been around and pushed her … and there are times Odinn isn't sure even about himself since he does drink excessively at times and is unable to remember that evening w/o a doubt… Meanwhile in his current position he takes over a file looking into a group home / alternative to prison for teenaged boys. There were 2 deaths that were accidental … and there may be ties to the present. ( )
  pammykn | Apr 1, 2016 |
I couldn't wait until this was released in USA, so I ordered from Canada. My favorite Yrsa book so far. Couldn't put it down. Good use of present time vs. past time to form the storyline, and it was never confusing. Of course the two timeperiods came together near the end in a satisfying way. The ending was a surprise to me and much worse than I had guessed at. I let out a little *squeak* at the end! This one too would make a good movie, like I Remember You. Similar cliffhanger chapter endings, so if you like that one, you might enjoy this one too. ( )
  seongeona | Nov 16, 2015 |

Yrsa Sigurðardóttirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tiril Theresa MyklebostTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cribb, VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my little sister, Ýr Sigurdardóttir - a great doctor and wonderful mother of eight
Ódinn was jolted awake by a cough. How long had he been asleep?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible