The Batsford Book of Chess for Children by…

The Batsford Book of Chess for Children

by Sabrina Chevannes

2013 (1) chess (1) educational (1) games (1)

Although geared to children, this introduction to chess held the attention of at least one adult who doesn’t know how to play the game. The instructions are easy enough to understand, and children will enjoy the illustrations. I recommend this book. ( )
  JoStARs | Jun 14, 2014 |
My nine year old son loves chess. He is a better player than I am... In fact, he taught me how to play. I read Chess for Children cover to cover and can recommend it also for adults!
The book is logically organized and easy to read. The illustrations compliment the text, are colorful and fun. I read certain chapters with my son and whether it was revision or something new he was engaged and interested. He is very excited to work on the puzzles in the last chapters.
Elements of the book I enjoyed also include:
Chapters on chess etiquette and tournaments
Clear explanations of classic maneuvers.
This is a very comprehensive educational book. Both my son and I really enjoyed it. The scope is perfect. I am very happy to have in on my "shelf" (ebook!) ( )
  suniru | Oct 9, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184994069X, Hardcover)

Chess is great for developing a child's analytical skills, fostering the competitive instinct—and having fun. Nothing beats this cute, character-based guide for teaching youngsters how to play. Jess and Jamie—two rough-and-tumble, chess-obsessed kids—explain it all: what the pieces are and how they move; the opening, middlegame, and endgame; checkmate; and sneaky tricks that win. The book's friendly, entertaining, and essential to any child's bookshelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:50 -0400)

Chess is experiencing a new wave of popularity in schools, and it's educational too. Organisations like Chess in Schools are promoting it as the perfect way to develop analytical thinking skills, foster the competitive instinct - and provide a lot of fun along the way. This cute, character-based book, aimed at children aged 7 and up, is a complete guide to chess for those starting out in the game. In straightforward, animated language, Jess and Jamie - two rough-and-tumble kids who are obsessed with chess - explain everything you need to know, from first sitting down at the board to sneaky tricks to help you beat your opponents. The book explains who the pieces are and how they move (and that we're talking about pawns, not prawns), how to reach checkmate (or, in Jess's words, 'how to kill the king'), and the concept of the opening, middlegame and endgame. It also introduces the idea of chess etiquette - and explains why sometimes no one wins and a game ends in stalemate. Friendlier and more fun than the average children's chess book, The Batsford Book of Chess for Children should become an essential addition to any child's bookshelf.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,199,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible