The Long Way by Michael Corbin Ray

The Long Way

by Michael Corbin Ray

I was given a copy of this book on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A wonderful historical fantasy about how magic can come into anyone's life and change it forever. I appreciate the historical details throughout the book and the fantasy elements are woven into the story very well. The characters are well created and interesting. It was interesting to read about the Wild West from a Chinese point of view. Well worth the read.

I would have liked to learn more about the dragons and the Temple of the Seven Dragons, but there's always the next book! ( )
  Velmeran | Jul 21, 2014 |
This is the latest in a long line of books about Chinese immigrants to the USA in the 1800s. It is not one of the best. The writing is stiff and the addition of dragons does not really liven it up.

I received a review copy of The Long Way by Michael Corbin Ray and Therese Vannier (Baaa Press) through Netgalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jun 6, 2014 |
DNF Review: 1.5 Stars

Being the history nerd I am, it's practically unquestionable that I would fly through a book like The Long Way. That wasn't the case. In fact, I'll have to add this to the never-ending list of historical fiction disappointments.

I made it to about 30% in before giving up. In all honesty, I really think the irksome writing encouraged me to stop reading, due to a lack of fluidity. The characters were underdeveloped and the plot left a lot to be desired. To sum this up, The Long Way just wasn't good enough.

Truly, the book needs work in terms of pacing and style. ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
By the time I was closing in on the end of The Long Way I had grown so fond of -- so warmly attached to this story -- that I felt compelled to nominate it for a Goodreads Choice this year, and I still feel invested personally, to some degree, in whether this story will reach as wide an audience as my hopes would dictate (please read this, dear reader! :).

I am always driven to promote literary fiction I think is really worthwhile from my own reading and study. But, in this case, I just love this book from my heart along with and beside my mind. It engaged me in the type of complete imaginative immersion that has made reading the only activity that could excite my mind and soothe my spirit consistently since as a young girl I finally read well enough to spend hours and hours engrossed in novels (nothing hard or deep for my age--Sweet Valley High, Baby-Sitter's Club, etc).

This is just a good old-fashioned, mind-transporting tale. I always enjoy reading, but this gave me a pure, unmitigated pleasure I associate with another time, place...self even!

The very wide relatability and endearing nature of the young girl we meet at the start of the story and follow throughout the adventures of The Long Way certainly was instrumental in captivating my imagination and emotional investment. Also, it's really kind of magical how this brainchild of the writers takes the reader on such a varied and rich adventure in only 259 numbered pages, in my copy anyhow...The title must be at least partly ironic because it felt a bit more epic than not to me...the novel opens one kind of story in a given environment, which bears no resemblance to the circumstances surrounding the action of the last few pages -- that's for sure! These pages pack a lot of punch -- a great, big story told with amazing efficiency -- but without rushing or or creating any plot/structural problems.

I think a broad audience would enjoy this smart historical fantasy -- it was a uniquely happy reading experience for me, and I'd hate for others to miss out! By the way, please know I was able to read this book so early because I won a copy through a Goodreads giveaway.
  kara.shamy | Jan 9, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,356,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible