What a Hero Dares by Kasey Michaels

What a Hero Dares

by Kasey Michaels

In the final book of the Redgrave series, it's up to second son Maximilian to finally put an end to the Society. But there's some unfinished business with his former partner and lover, Chloe Charbonneau, before he can take action.
I've found this series a bit uneven, but this was a great finale. The second-chance romance with Max and Chloe is perfect. Meanwhile, we get to see all the rest of the Redgraves and also some characters from my favorite of Ms. Michaels's series in Romney Marsh. The plot moves right along with lots of action as one might expect with two of England's top spies as the hero and heroine to a very satisfying conclusion. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Oct 21, 2017 |
3.5 Stars

So, I guess this was the wrap-up of the series and I'm still not sure about it. There was little romance since the story seemed to focus on finishing the arc after four books. It was a little confusing at times or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention to it. There were quite a few crosses and double crosses and recaps and people I forgot about from previous books (I.e. the pirate captain). I've really liked this series from the beginning and I'm happy to see the end of the Society, but I felt that after following the dealings of the depraved for so long the ending was kind of a let down. I was expecting some big showdown between all the Redgraves and their mates against the evil menions, but what we got was Max and Zoé stumbling onto the place after whatever happened.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Mar 29, 2014 |
...a traitorous love!

In this volume the search for the leader of the secret hellfire club continues. All our favourite Redgrave characters are here. The threat of a Bonaparte inspired invasion is still present. The family's investigation into its duplicitous, treasonous and debauched past continues. They continue the search for the journals, the records of the society's members and plans.
Trixie and the faithful Richard Borders, now married, are once more entrenched in the action as is Kate.
Our interest is focused from the viewpoint of another member of the Redgrave cohort, soldier and spy Maximillien Redgrave. Devastated by the betrayal of his lover and companion Zoe Charbonneau, now recognized as a double agent Max has infiltrated a smuggling ring. En route to England Max is astounded to discover Zoe on his ship.
Questions intersect each other. Who was the traitor in France, who is the leader of the revived society, what is their connection?
This is Max and Zoe's story. I loved it when Richard said to Zoe, 'Together you must have been pure beauty to watch in action.' To me that sums up their relationship...pure beauty, a matched pair of panthers...sleek, dangerous and made for each other. They have much to work out. The sooner they do, the sooner the chase can be taken up, the society pursued and the traitor exposed.
Another fascinating episode! Make no mistake there's action, betrayal, bloodshed, and steamy romance in spades. All the members of the family are up to their usual tricks and none more so than Trixie Redgrave, the Dowager Countess. Another roller coaster ride!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Mar 25, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373778600, Mass Market Paperback)

www.KaseyMichaels.com

Desire and loyalty collide in the riveting conclusion to USA TODAY bestselling author Kasey Michaels's series about the Redgraves—four siblings united by their legacy of scandal and seduction…

Punished for his father's crimes and scorned by society, fearless soldier Maximillien Redgrave fights to protect England. But his quest to restore his family's reputation is his own private battle. Trusting the irresistible young Zoe Charbonneau, whose betrayal destroyed his closest comrades and nearly unraveled his covert mission, is a mistake he intends to never repeat. So when the discovery of a smuggling ring compels him to embark on a voyage straight into danger, he's prepared for anything—except to find Zoe on his ship.

Believed to be a double agent for England and France, Zoe must clear her name in order to save her life. Convincing Max of her innocence seems impossible, until inescapable desire tempts them both to trust—and love—again. But a circle of enemies is closing in, and their time together might run out before they outrun danger….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Desire and loyalty collide in the riveting conclusion to USA TODAY bestselling author Kasey Michaels's series about the Redgraves--four siblings united by their legacy of scandal and seduction. Punished for his father's crimes and scorned by society, fearless soldier Maximillien Redgrave fights to protect England. But his quest to restore his family's reputation is his own private battle. Trusting the irresistible young Zoe Charbonneau, whose betrayal destroyed his closest comrades and nearly unraveled his covert mission, is a mistake he intends to never repeat. So when the discovery of a smuggling ring compels him to embark on a voyage straight into danger, he's prepared for anything--except to find Zoe on his ship. Believed to be a double agent for England and France, Zoe must clear her name in order to save her life. Convincing Max of her innocence seems impossible, until inescapable desire tempts them both to trust--and love--again. But a circle of enemies is closing in, and their time together might run out before they outrun danger.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,498,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible