Cover Her Face by P. D. James

Cover Her Face (1962)

by P. D. James

Series: Adam Dalgliesh (1)

A Judgement in Stone by Ruth Rendell (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Similar atmosphere, but this one is a bit creepier and quite different in terms of plot.

While I enjoyed this book on some levels, there were things about it that disturbed me a good deal. Shea's best friend is someone she has grown up with, and she is closer to that family than her own complicated family. Her friend's mother dies, and that's where everything begins. First, you must understand that Shea is a rabid football fan for a small fictitious Texas college who competes with Division 1 schools. I could have cared less about all the football talk, feeling that it took away from the story. The friend, Lucy, is someone I wanted to shake a few times, and Shea falls for men she shouldn't, for a variety of reasons. Parts of the ending were good, but others not so much. All in all, it was entertaining, aside from the times I wanted to throw the book on the floor. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Jul 9, 2017 |
I read this book a long time ago, so I can't recall exactly what impression it made on me, but I can tell you that it introduced me to the drama of John Webster. Because of this book, I read "The Duchess of Malfi," which is one of my favorite dramas. ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |
Neat little whodunnit. I had sort of guessed who the culprit was before the end but it was an enjoyable enough read. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
Rather stolid and but I was intrigued by the structure. Plus it's the first Dalgliesh. I've read her before, but only sporadically over the years, so it'll be interesting to see how her style unfolds. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
A very impressive debut novel. The plot was obviously well thought out, the characters were complex, and the writing was fantastic. It appeared to me that everyone was guilty and I do like mystery novels that truly baffle the mind, at least for the majority of the story. I also like books with surprises and a Red Herring or two, but this book left me feeling a bit too baffled. I didn't have a CLUE "whodunnit" until the last two chapters. I still enjoyed reading the story - very much so - I just wanted to see the knot unravel as Dalgliesh closed in on the killer. Who doesn't like spinning theories? Especially when your best guess is proven to be so unworthy compared to the authors' Outstanding Talent for Awesomeness! Ahem...[a:Craig Johnson|63607|Craig Johnson|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1349965600p2/63607.jpg] anyone? I suspect P.D James has done the same in her later works, which I plan to explore in the near future. Highly recommend! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Latvala, PirjoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Exactly three months before the killing at Martingale Mrs. Maxie gave a dinner-party.
It's not that they sin less, but that they bear their sins more lightly.
'There was that Pullen boy', said Catherine. `You can't tell me that
there was nothing between them.' She saw Deborah wince at the solecism
Title source:
"Cover her face: mine eyes dazzle: she died young.”

The Duchess of Malfi
(4.2.252-6)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219570, Paperback)

Headstrong and beautiful, the young housemaid Sally Jupp is put rudely in her place, strangled in her bed behind a bolted door. Coolly brilliant policeman Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must find her killer among a houseful of suspects, most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill.

Cover Her Face is P. D. James's electric debut novel, an ingeniously plotted mystery that immediately placed her among the masters of suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

"When headstrong and beautiful housemaid Sally Jupp is found strangled in her bed behind a bolted door, Detective Chief-Inspector Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must unmask her killer from a houseful of suspects--most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill. Each new clue he uncovers leads to a dramatic twist in this ingeniously plotted mystery"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,038,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible