Cover her face by P. D. James

Cover her face (original 1962; edition 1974)

by P. D. James

Member:sjmccreary
Title:Cover her face
Authors:P. D. James
Info:London : Sphere, 1974.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Donna828, fiction, mystery, England

Cover Her Face by P. D. James (1962)

A Judgement in Stone by Ruth Rendell (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Similar atmosphere, but this one is a bit creepier and quite different in terms of plot.

St. Bart's 2015 #4 - My first P. D. James, and hers as well! Slower paced mystery about the murder of a saucy little unwed mother brought in to help out at Martingale as a maid. The Maxie family is as dysfunctional as one would expect in an English manor house slightly past its prime. Enter Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard to calmly and methodically sort out the tangle of 'whodunnit'. I very much enjoyed the steady influx of facts that further confused things and the number of possibilities grew and grew, certainly driving my interest. Thrilling?? No. Gripping?? No. I cannot really put my finger on it, but I really enjoyed it! And there are many more to follow.... ( )
  jeffome | Jan 15, 2015 |
Warning: This review contains spoilers.

****

The debut of Adam Dalgliesh is a case involving the murder of a housemaid, Sally Jupp, who is found strangled one morning in her bedroom. Everyone residing in the house, a manor called Martingale, is immediately a suspect. By process of elimination, Dalgliesh must identify the killer.

I confess that this book was a bit too plodding and methodical for my tastes. This could be partly because the book is James's first and she is still trying to find her voice, or because Dalgliesh himself is a methodical man. At any rate, I found myself just nodding along a lot of the time and then reaching the solution without having paid attention to any of the clues. (I am also not sure whether the identity of the secret husband could have been figured out by the reader, or whether that would even be necessary for the reader to figure out.)

I'm still going to read more in the series. Things probably get better from here. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Dec 26, 2014 |
I became interested in PD James back in the early 80s when I used to evaluate the Mystery/masterpiece Theater programs for PBS. Cover Her Face was the first episode, and I was immediately entranced. That led to finding PD James, the author of the Adam Dalgliesh detective series. Very different pacing than the usual detective books. ( )
  cpq | Oct 1, 2014 |
This was my first PD James. Since I'm a fan of mystery, I thought it was time I read the mistress of the genre. I decided to start at the beginning with first in the Adam Dalgliesh series written in 1962. It took me a while to get used to the style.

Cover her Face was quietly English. I enjoyed the slow rise of the detective work, no crescendo, but complete with novel twists and turns that kept me guessing. I'll read more of James, not in place of my typical escape mysteries but when I want to wrap my mind around murder. ( )
  Hanneri | Sep 19, 2014 |
I decided to read this because I'd never read any P.D. James, and I thought I'd give her a shot. She's said she thinks of this as a lesser effort, and she's right. The novel is structured like a game of Clue--Miss Scarlett in the buttery with a soup tureen, all the suspects gathered in the dining room for the big denouement--which can be amusing if *extremely* well-written, but this is clearly a practice run. (See, for example, A.A. Milne's The Red House Mystery, which isn't very mysterious, but remains stylistically fresh.) The characters were stereotypes, and I got to only about the middle of the book before reading ahead. Ho hum. ( )
  IreneF | Aug 15, 2014 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Latvala, PirjoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Exactly three months before the killing at Martingale Mrs. Maxie gave a dinner-party.
It's not that they sin less, but that they bear their sins more lightly.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219570, Paperback)

Headstrong and beautiful, the young housemaid Sally Jupp is put rudely in her place, strangled in her bed behind a bolted door. Coolly brilliant policeman Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must find her killer among a houseful of suspects, most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill.

Cover Her Face is P. D. James's electric debut novel, an ingeniously plotted mystery that immediately placed her among the masters of suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:25 -0400)

"When headstrong and beautiful housemaid Sally Jupp is found strangled in her bed behind a bolted door, Detective Chief-Inspector Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must unmask her killer from a houseful of suspects--most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill. Each new clue he uncovers leads to a dramatic twist in this ingeniously plotted mystery"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,818,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible