Cover her face by P. D. James

Cover her face (original 1962; edition 1974)

by P. D. James

Member:sjmccreary
Title:Cover her face
Authors:P. D. James
Info:London : Sphere, 1974.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Donna828, fiction, mystery, England

Cover Her Face by P. D. James (1962)

Recently added byMissJessie, unicorn1, Pepperbetsy, mpontiff, private library, goodwaterreader, arena50, cpq
    A Judgement in Stone by Ruth Rendell (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Similar atmosphere, but this one is a bit creepier and quite different in terms of plot.

I became interested in PD James back in the early 80s when I used to evaluate the Mystery/masterpiece Theater programs for PBS. Cover Her Face was the first episode, and I was immediately entranced. That led to finding PD James, the author of the Adam Dalgliesh detective series. Very different pacing than the usual detective books. ( )
  cpq | Oct 1, 2014 |
This was my first PD James. Since I'm a fan of mystery, I thought it was time I read the mistress of the genre. I decided to start at the beginning with first in the Adam Dalgliesh series written in 1962. It took me a while to get used to the style.

Cover her Face was quietly English. I enjoyed the slow rise of the detective work, no crescendo, but complete with novel twists and turns that kept me guessing. I'll read more of James, not in place of my typical escape mysteries but when I want to wrap my mind around murder. ( )
  Hanneri | Sep 19, 2014 |
I decided to read this because I'd never read any P.D. James, and I thought I'd give her a shot. She's said she thinks of this as a lesser effort, and she's right. The novel is structured like a game of Clue--Miss Scarlett in the buttery with a soup tureen, all the suspects gathered in the dining room for the big denouement--which can be amusing if *extremely* well-written, but this is clearly a practice run. (See, for example, A.A. Milne's The Red House Mystery, which isn't very mysterious, but remains stylistically fresh.) The characters were stereotypes, and I got to only about the middle of the book before reading ahead. Ho hum. ( )
  IreneF | Aug 15, 2014 |
A classic detective novel. With all the positives and negatives that go with that. In some ways the first fifty pages -- before the murder -- were a better written, more interesting novel than what followed which relied on the typical devices of a locked room, an English manor house, and a solution that ultimately involved three different people involved in different aspects of the murder -- all unbeknownst to each other -- in a manner that strains credulity, to say the least. That said, I did keep reading with interest to the end and the coda, like the opening, renewed interest in the characters and their relationships. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Scotland Yard Detective Chief-Inspector Adam Dalgliesh is called to an English country house over the murder of the maid Sally Jupp in a locked room. Dalgliesh, a true gentleman detective, immediate suspects a member of the household or their immediate circle. The pacing is deliberate and methodical, with the novel centering much more on character than on action. Dalgliesh is quiet, genteel, and brilliant, with the rest of the cast developed with more foibles and complexities as each is examined as a suspect.

Dalgliesh would appeal to fans of Agatha Christie. ( )
  ktoonen | Apr 24, 2014 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Latvala, PirjoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Exactly three months before the killing at Martingale Mrs. Maxie gave a dinner-party.
It's not that they sin less, but that they bear their sins more lightly.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219570, Paperback)

Headstrong and beautiful, the young housemaid Sally Jupp is put rudely in her place, strangled in her bed behind a bolted door. Coolly brilliant policeman Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must find her killer among a houseful of suspects, most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill.

Cover Her Face is P. D. James's electric debut novel, an ingeniously plotted mystery that immediately placed her among the masters of suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:25 -0400)

"When headstrong and beautiful housemaid Sally Jupp is found strangled in her bed behind a bolted door, Detective Chief-Inspector Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must unmask her killer from a houseful of suspects--most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill. Each new clue he uncovers leads to a dramatic twist in this ingeniously plotted mystery"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible