Cover her face by P. D. James

Cover her face (original 1962; edition 1974)

by P. D. James

Member:sjmccreary
Title:Cover her face
Authors:P. D. James
Info:London : Sphere, 1974.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Donna828, fiction, mystery, England

Cover Her Face by P. D. James (1962)

A Judgement in Stone by Ruth Rendell (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Similar atmosphere, but this one is a bit creepier and quite different in terms of plot.

Neat little whodunnit. I had sort of guessed who the culprit was before the end but it was an enjoyable enough read. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
Rather stolid and but I was intrigued by the structure. Plus it's the first Dalgliesh. I've read her before, but only sporadically over the years, so it'll be interesting to see how her style unfolds. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
A very impressive debut novel. The plot was obviously well thought out, the characters were complex, and the writing was fantastic. It appeared to me that everyone was guilty and I do like mystery novels that truly baffle the mind, at least for the majority of the story. I also like books with surprises and a Red Herring or two, but this book left me feeling a bit too baffled. I didn't have a CLUE "whodunnit" until the last two chapters. I still enjoyed reading the story - very much so - I just wanted to see the knot unravel as Dalgliesh closed in on the killer. Who doesn't like spinning theories? Especially when your best guess is proven to be so unworthy compared to the authors' Outstanding Talent for Awesomeness! Ahem...[a:Craig Johnson|63607|Craig Johnson|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1349965600p2/63607.jpg] anyone? I suspect P.D James has done the same in her later works, which I plan to explore in the near future. Highly recommend! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I came late to the P.D.James party, but I'm glad I got here. The head of a local book shop spoke at a meeting with such enthusiasm and fondness for the character of Adam Dalgliesh that I just HAD to try the books. This is the first one - and it's a first-rate "locked room" murder mystery. Very fine writing, and keeps you guessing right to the end.

NOTE: In Sept 2008 I read this again because I didn't realize I had read it before until I was half-way through. Still kept me entertained! ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 3, 2016 |
3.5 stars

This is the first P.D. James book I've read in a long time and the first of the Adam Dalgliesh series. The mystery itself kept me guessing and turning pages; whenever I thought I'd figured it out, I hadn't. The problem was I didn't really like or feel invested in any of the characters. They weren't horrible, but only the victim was interesting (but not nice).

Unlike many newer mystery series, the detective and his back story was nearly invisible until he solved the case. It felt a little odd to me since I've gotten used to focusing more on the detective than the obvious mystery in many novels. I suspect he becomes more of a protagonist in later novels; there is a glimmer of someone I'd like to know there.
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Latvala, PirjoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Exactly three months before the killing at Martingale Mrs. Maxie gave a dinner-party.
It's not that they sin less, but that they bear their sins more lightly.
'There was that Pullen boy', said Catherine. `You can't tell me that
there was nothing between them.' She saw Deborah wince at the solecism
Title source:
"Cover her face: mine eyes dazzle: she died young.”

The Duchess of Malfi
(4.2.252-6)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219570, Paperback)

Headstrong and beautiful, the young housemaid Sally Jupp is put rudely in her place, strangled in her bed behind a bolted door. Coolly brilliant policeman Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must find her killer among a houseful of suspects, most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill.

Cover Her Face is P. D. James's electric debut novel, an ingeniously plotted mystery that immediately placed her among the masters of suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

"When headstrong and beautiful housemaid Sally Jupp is found strangled in her bed behind a bolted door, Detective Chief-Inspector Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must unmask her killer from a houseful of suspects--most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill. Each new clue he uncovers leads to a dramatic twist in this ingeniously plotted mystery"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,740,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible