Cover her face by P. D. James

Cover her face (original 1962; edition 1974)

by P. D. James

Member:sjmccreary
Title:Cover her face
Authors:P. D. James
Info:London : Sphere, 1974.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Donna828, fiction, mystery, England

Cover Her Face by P. D. James (1962)

Recently added bysandrikoti, private library, sir.david, jbhender, Yardape, LisvaneLibrary, duranteaj, arenie5000
    A Judgement in Stone by Ruth Rendell (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Similar atmosphere, but this one is a bit creepier and quite different in terms of plot.

A very impressive debut novel. The plot was obviously well thought out, the characters were complex, and the writing was fantastic. It appeared to me that everyone was guilty and I do like mystery novels that truly baffle the mind, at least for the majority of the story. I also like books with surprises and a Red Herring or two, but this book left me feeling a bit too baffled. I didn't have a CLUE "whodunnit" until the last two chapters. I still enjoyed reading the story - very much so - I just wanted to see the knot unravel as Dalgliesh closed in on the killer. Who doesn't like spinning theories? Especially when your best guess is proven to be so unworthy compared to the authors' Outstanding Talent for Awesomeness! Ahem...[a:Craig Johnson|63607|Craig Johnson|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1349965600p2/63607.jpg] anyone? I suspect P.D James has done the same in her later works, which I plan to explore in the near future. Highly recommend! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I came late to the P.D.James party, but I'm glad I got here. The head of a local book shop spoke at a meeting with such enthusiasm and fondness for the character of Adam Dalgliesh that I just HAD to try the books. This is the first one - and it's a first-rate "locked room" murder mystery. Very fine writing, and keeps you guessing right to the end.

NOTE: In Sept 2008 I read this again because I didn't realize I had read it before until I was half-way through. Still kept me entertained! ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 3, 2016 |
3.5 stars

This is the first P.D. James book I've read in a long time and the first of the Adam Dalgliesh series. The mystery itself kept me guessing and turning pages; whenever I thought I'd figured it out, I hadn't. The problem was I didn't really like or feel invested in any of the characters. They weren't horrible, but only the victim was interesting (but not nice).

Unlike many newer mystery series, the detective and his back story was nearly invisible until he solved the case. It felt a little odd to me since I've gotten used to focusing more on the detective than the obvious mystery in many novels. I suspect he becomes more of a protagonist in later novels; there is a glimmer of someone I'd like to know there.
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
A good mystery. Very full characters. Wonderful description. I really felt like I was there, I could so easily picture the people and the place. Penelope Delaporta, not my favorite, but a good reader. Very satisfying ending. ( )
  njcur | Dec 26, 2015 |
Can I remember a time when I didn’t know of the existence of Adam Dalgliesh? No. This, the first in PD James’s series about the thoughtful detective, was published in 1962. So it was an interesting exercise to re-read this novel when I am so familiar with the last books in the series. How to describe the style of PD James’s detective: detection by deduction and perception.
The Maxie family has a new parlourmaid, Sally Jupp, who is found dead in her bed. This is almost a ‘closed room’ mystery in that the murder takes place in a country house with a limited number of suspects. What is unclear is the real story of Sally, her background and how she became an unmarried mother. Is Sally a victim, or is she a manipulative young woman who twists situations and people to her advantage? And who feels most threatened by her? There are plenty of potential culprits and Dalgliesh’s summary at the end – leading up to the naming of the murderer – reminded me of Agatha Christie.
Any Dalgliesh fan will be curious to read about his first appearance. There is almost nothing inside his head here, something the later books do so well, showing us the thoughtful, tortured poet detective. Here, his character is still forming.
Read more of my book reviews @ http://www.sandradanby.com/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 31, 2015 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Latvala, PirjoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Exactly three months before the killing at Martingale Mrs. Maxie gave a dinner-party.
It's not that they sin less, but that they bear their sins more lightly.
'There was that Pullen boy', said Catherine. `You can't tell me that
there was nothing between them.' She saw Deborah wince at the solecism

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219570, Paperback)

Headstrong and beautiful, the young housemaid Sally Jupp is put rudely in her place, strangled in her bed behind a bolted door. Coolly brilliant policeman Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must find her killer among a houseful of suspects, most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill.

Cover Her Face is P. D. James's electric debut novel, an ingeniously plotted mystery that immediately placed her among the masters of suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

"When headstrong and beautiful housemaid Sally Jupp is found strangled in her bed behind a bolted door, Detective Chief-Inspector Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard must unmask her killer from a houseful of suspects--most of whom had very good reason to wish her ill. Each new clue he uncovers leads to a dramatic twist in this ingeniously plotted mystery"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,786,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible