Dancer of the Nile by Veronica Scott

Dancer of the Nile

by Veronica Scott

The book throws us right into action; the heroine is tied up and being carried in a litter; the hero is being led/pulled on a rope behind the group of Hyksos soldiers.

There's much to love here. Nima is a strong character, both physically and mentally, and a VERY skilled dancer. Kamin is a spy (or something more). She wears a snake amulet bead, linked to Renenuet, the Snake Goddess; his personal God is Horus, the Falcon (and those two critters are never friends IRL). Nima contrives an escape and the two of them flee the evil Hyksos before reaching the stronghold, carrying vital information that MUST be passed to Pharaoh.

I found the start, fast-paced and exciting though it was, a little confusing. I wasn't sure if this was a continuation of another book in the series (it's not) or if I'd missed the set-up; I wasn't sure if these two characters were supposed to know each other or not. Although there's plenty of chemistry, there's only one sex scene - given the plotline of the story, it would have been impossible to staple in more, but some readers might be disappointed with that.

But I liked that these characters fall in love with each other's NOT merely based on sexual attraction or chemistry (which they have, in spades) and that Nima really isn't sure what she's supposed to DO with her amulet. Enjoyed getting to see another Egyptian goddess (Renenuet) strut her stuff, as well as a little of Horus's trick. The pacing holds up well (though this is almost a novella, at under 200 pages), the ending is suitably exciting and (of course) there's a happily ever after. ( )
  writerbeverly | May 1, 2014 |
Veronica Scott has a talent for forming characters. Nima and Kamin meet while captives of an invading army. Nima is a dancer of talent but little note who has been taken and for a General to dance and possibly die for the foreign god. Kamin is an Egyptian who the savvy Nima instantly recognizes as a warrior. Her bravery and natural sympathy which leads her to offer him some much needed water forms a bond and together they escape.

Scott takes us on a wild ride with the pair. Aided with the special magic and unique characteristics Scott grants them they have strange experiences that fit perfectly with the well crafted plot. There was never a point where I said, "That shouldn't or couldn't happen" because though some of the plot points are not of this world Scott forms them in a way that could be believed of THAT world.

While not my favorite Scott book - an author for whom I am now a huge fangirl - I could not give "Dancer of the Nile" less than five stars. There is literally nothing wrong with this novel. Not a thing I would change. Loved every moment of this paranormal/historical romance. Pick it up today. ( )
  TammyDewhirst | Oct 7, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible