A Good Time (O'Learys, #2) by Shannyn…

A Good Time (O'Learys, #2)

by Shannyn Schroeder

91950,433 (3.75)None

Real estate agent Indy Adams doesn't answer to anyone. She's fiercely independent, loyal to her sister, and all about taking charge of her own destiny. Even if that means selling houses by day and bartending by night to make ends meet.

When the guy she's been dating begins to wear on her, she ditches him, only to have him propose marriage. But that's not the man or the life she wants, and she's moving on without him whether he accepts it or not. Then she gets every agent's dream, a chance to find a home for her brother-in-laws super-rich best friend, and she comes face to face with Griffin Walker — every woman's dream.

Griffin isn't looking for anything serious, either, so when chemistry with Indy sparks, it seems like the perfect casual match. But one night becomes many more, and what started out as no-strings-attached is about to get more serious than either of them ever anticipated.

The Verdict: While I liked Indy as a secondary character in More Than This, I wasn't sure she was the kind of woman I could really relate to. But Shannyn Schroeder hasn't let me down yet, so I figured I'd give her a shot.

As outgoing, strong, and fun-loving as Indy is, her life isn't turning out the way she wants. She's not interested in a serious relationship, but even her casual flings are starting to disappoint. Still, she maintains a smile and determination to improve her lot, and when she meets the source of her next commission, she thinks she's struck gold. Griffin's reputation for nothing serious would scare off lesser women, but as far as Indy is concerned, that makes him just about perfect — at least for what she has in min.

Griffin is made of money, and it would have been easy for Indy to let him pay away all her troubles, but it's not in her character to accept what would essentially be charity, and while she won't pass up a little fun, she's determined to stand on her own two feet. It made me like Indy much more than I had expected to, and it seemed to have the same effect on Griffin.

Now, there's one aspect of the story that I imagine would leave readers in two distinctly different camps, and while it may sound like a romance novel cliche, there was a twist that absolutely made the story. Griffin's torn feelings about it rang very true. There's shock and responsibility and guilt and fear that it might not be his problem after all, and I loved every second of the drama that played out as a result.

I don't understand how she did it, but Shannyn Schroeder took a handful of romance novel standards, mixed them up into something just different enough to be fresh and exciting, and delivered up an emotional journey I wasn't expecting and thoroughly enjoyed reading. If this is what I can expect from The O'Learys, I'm all in. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,508,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible