Forget Me Not: A Love Story of the East by…

Forget Me Not: A Love Story of the East

by G.X. Chen

106880,191 (5)None

Forget Me Not is a sad, happy, serious, and delightful story. It takes place in China in the 60's. It is the love story of Li Ling and Zhang Lily. The book opens with a letter from Li Ling's friend Big Head. Li Ling's wife asks him about the letter and Li Ling sets out to tell her the story of his life in China as a child. He lived with his grandparents in Hong Kong until he was about 8. Then some horrible changes were happening in China and Li Ling had to be sent back to live with his parents. Communists known as the Red Guard were punishing people as counterrevolutionary foriegn agents who had relatives in Hong Kong. They shut down schools and universities. Instead of children learning they had to work in government stores and other places. When the reign of the Red Guard ended, schools and universities opened back up. Li Ling and Zhang Lily met again at the university and rekindled their love. This is a bitter sweet tale of the love between Li Ling and Zhang Lily. I know you will enjoy this book as much as I have. I highly recommend this book. The story is captivating and will keep you reading page after page after page. ( )
  lizhughes | Mar 9, 2014 |
I can honestly not say enough about this book. I started it and could NOT put it down. It is so fantastic and so immediately interesting that it's one I'm going to value having in my collection. As a person who is interested in both the historical context and the love story, I have to say that Chen hits all the marks on this one. The love story in itself is absolutely wonderful, but what made me feel like I couldn't stop reading was the backdrop of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. It felt less like a story and more like an experience, in all honesty. It informs the reader of more recent history that hasn't really been touched upon frequently. A part of me felt as if I had experienced this in part, and it's a book I know I'm going to read more than once. I am sincerely happy to have found such a great piece of modern literature (and I do not often bestow this title lightly).
  lymerrick | Feb 8, 2014 |
Reading this book is like eating delicacy. You want to chew it slowly and enjoy every bite. I don't want to rush to see the end. I enjoy every page, every paragraph and every sentence. My heart goes with everything happened in the book. I was nervous, relaxed, happy, sad, curious, and excited as the story goes. There is never a dull moment in this book, not even when the characters got involved in politics, my least interested subject. I didn't even want to close the book when the story ended. This is a book you don't want to miss. ( )
  houxw | Nov 19, 2013 |
Such a touching story it is unbelievable! It's an extremely interesting love story in China. I liked it very much that I simply couldn’t put it down. It’s about true friendship and passionate love in the backdrop of the Cultural Revolution (from 1966-1976). All the characters are well written and the story is lovingly crafted and well told. I absolutely recommend this true romance to anyone who likes reading a good story while learning something about China. ( )
  xiahui | Nov 3, 2013 |
It’s an emotional tourney of two lovers whose childhood/teenage years were cut short by the Cultural Revolution, one of the most miserable ten-year calamities in Chinese history when millions people died simply because their ideology wasn’t in line with the ruling party and the communists. The love story Ms. Chen told in new her book is moving, tender, and sorrowful which could only happen in an oppressive society where individuality is non-existed. I like the ending very much which is heartwarming to readers like me who appreciates a thoughtful rather than hurried finale. A beautifully written story and a must read.
1 vote tuggleman | Oct 30, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

G.X. Chen's book Forget Me Not: A Love Story of the East was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

G.X. Chen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,997,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible