Friends Without Benefits by Penny Reid

Friends Without Benefits

by Penny Reid

Normally, I wouldn't review two books at a time, but not only did I buy both of these at once after reading and loving Neanderthal Seeks Human, but I also read them both in a day and a half, and when you have two children and a full time job, that's saying a lot. I've stated before that I am not normally a romance reader as a genre in itself but these books are the exception. The Knitting in the City series by Penny Reid has changed my mind. The snarky humor has me consistently laughing out loud or at the very least, leaves me with a wide grin on my face as each relationship goes through all of its ups and downs and constant emotional craziness. The strong bond between the women in the knitting group reminds us of the importance of friendship and of having someone to share your thoughts with and of course, knit a few sweaters while you're at it. The stories of each member of the group remind us of the intensity and passion and chaos of new love and taking that huge step onto the next path in life. The characters are real, each having their own story, and each quirky and endearing in unique ways, which is why I cannot wait to read about the next knitting club member's path to true love. Check out all of Penny Reid's books and more on her blog at reidromance.blogspot.com. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
Quickly-Hot Italian comedic hunk, struggles with desire for his life time love (Dr.Wanna Becoldass) who loved someone else and has closed her heart.

Elizabeth- I liked the fact that the female lead was not a ditty blond but an accomplished self-made Dr. She is suffering from a pain so deep her life revolves around the scar. She stays away distant, uses people till they get close then she walks away. She gave herself to Nico, years ago and regrets it and is devastated when she is trapped into working near him treating his ill niece. This begins her amazing rant and crazy ass process of avoiding having a conversation about what happened. Her character lost me for a bit here. She was outspoken honest and blurted out very personal information to co workers and friends but couldn't talk to her "friend". This was a guy she had known her whole life. I found it irritating how she acted and out of character. Okay I must be fair it was explained by her juvenile heartbreak and horrible childhood experience. Meh, it was over played IMHO. I liked her nerdy love of Start Wars and her references to lines form the movies. I loved her knitting club, what a bunch of quirky nutty drunken fun women. I finished the book thinking I may want to learn to knit.
Nico- Italian mega hunk, ex underwear model and current TV star. He was childhood friends with Elizebeth, we he tortured her like any little boy does when he likes a girl. He stood by and watched her fall for another boy, held her when that boy died and loved her for the first time. He has naked gorgeous women throwing themselves at him, and it makes hard to try to reconnect with this girl. She walked out on him like she did all her "men" without another word after one night when they were 17. Now he's taking care of his sick niece, and demands she be their Dr. His mother is all for this, and plays one funny matchmaker. He cooks nearly naked, speaks Italian, successful, is tall dark and handsome, yeh everyone wants him. His mind is set on one girl, but he finds his one may not happen.
Power read last night. This one started out strong, then slowed towards the middle and then raced me through the last quarter of the story. This is not a little short story it is a full length novel. I really liked Nico, he was sucker punched by Elizebeth and still kept his cool. His family were the perfect mix of everything and lots of fun. Elizebeth, was a difficult character to like. She needed therapy years ago to recover from her issues. I really liked her ability to stand up bush her butt off and move on. I just found her constant self questioning and cold as stone attitude to be irritating. It was semi predictable, when is a romance not ? I liked it, not loved it. I would read this authors work again. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
There are three things you should know about Penny Reid: her wit is razor sharp, her characters are odd and charming, and at last, her romances are tender and sincere to the point of leaving you teary-eyed.

I admit Neanderthal Seeks Human is still my favorite, but Friends Without Benefits packs a hell of an emotional punch, and I found it absolutely adorable.

Nico is Elizabeth's childhood love. Years later she is convinced she won't fall in love again and jumps from one meaningless fling to another while Nico stars in a very successful comedy show.

Then his niece becomes very ill and her only chance for recovery is some sort of a revolutionary treatment in the hospital Elizabeth works. They see each other again, and Nico insists on Doctor Finney treating his niece and no one else.

She is scared out of her wits, totally out of her comfort zone, and he is very insistent and determined to win her. Add to the mix a disastrous school reunion, a dangerous celebrity stalker, and a mind blowingly romantic ending, and I swear your heart will be melting.

Any time you need to cheer yourself up, pick up Penny's books. Her writing is absolutely wonderful, and I for one know I'll be reading whatever else she publishes in the future. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
These books are addictive, like chocolate. They are deliciously sweet and after finishing them they leave you with a smile on your face and feeling good.
I can't wait to read next book in the series. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
finally a book 2 in a series that exceeds expectations. I really liked Janie and Quinn's book. Elizabeth and Nico was even better. 4.5 read this series now stars! ( )
  sharonhd | Mar 13, 2014 |

Penny Reid is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible