Assertiveness for Earth Angels: How to Be…

Assertiveness for Earth Angels: How to Be Loving Instead of "Too Nice"

by Doreen Virtue

there are some good ideas and tips, but I found it often either repetitive or insubstantial.

Some of it is kind of "out there", and a lot didn't seem practical, something I could incorporate into my life, or didn't give me enough detail to actually incorporate it. ( )

katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
This was an easy before bed read. One of the takeaways from this book was that by not speaking up to someone about how their behavior makes me feel it's really a disservice to the individual. We can harbor ill will when a person repeats their behavior until we reach a breaking point and cut them off. However, if we speak up we're giving the person the opportunity to change the behavior. If the person ignores how we feel it's easier to let them loose. ( )
  astults | Jul 4, 2015 |
This book shines light on many patterns of behavior and thinking that lead “Earth Angels” to circumstances such as toxic relationships where they are taken advantage of, as well as why they’re not reaching their dreams, with many listed ways for handling these situations.

I have Doreen Virtue’s “Healing with the Fairies” Oracle Cards, which spontaneously came into my life over the summer and have been one of the most powerful transformative aids I’ve ever had, and I am an empath, so not only did I really want to connect with this book, but I had high hopes for what lay within. So, I must say that while reading this book, many times I felt disappointed by its contents. I felt as though the author had many “hit or miss” statements, at least in the way she went about her descriptions. I think that in order for people, many of whom are ruled by their ego, to identify with this book, she speaks inclusively generic, and exerts a lot of negativity into the book, which, while reading, would shift my energy levels up and down. I understand that she was trying to bring attention to the negative ways for many Earth Angels who exist on this planet, but rather than be life-affirming, many times it became too bogged down in repetitive, over-description of these negative habits, and so as reading as one who who is highly sensitive, and the audience to which she is writing to, (in her words: Earth Angels are so attuned to energy. We can feel when others are stressed, angry, sad, or uncomfortable. Their emotional energy affects us directly.”) I’m not sure if this set-up is as effective as it could be, and it wasn’t completely “feel-good”. While reading books, I keep a journal and this is an excerpt from my entry for this book: “A lot is unnecessary and drags or repeats. This book could have been worded more fully and in less words so that it would be more positively and powerfully affecting, rather than negativity-affirming to scoop those in ego to listen…If they don’t go further than the beginning, she may have very likely done more harm than good.” That said, I think that everyone will find something in this book if they are willing to dig through sand piles to find some gems. The ending is much better than the beginning, I felt a definite shift in her voice, and much more wisdom here. I have been healing with trees for as long as I can remember, so I liked that this practice was recognized and included in this book for others to connect and benefit with.
A few quotes I enjoyed or thought that others would benefit from reading:
“Each time you practice a new behavior, it becomes easier and more natural.”
“When you say no, you’re modeling healthy behavior for others. Part of the reason why they may react angrily toward you is because it’s never occurred to them that they could say no to unreasonable demands put upon their own time…Don’t feel like you have to explain why you’re saying no, though. The more you explain why, the more leverage the other person has, which he or she can use to manipulate you into changing that no into a yes.”
“A gift out of guilt is tainted with toxic energies.”
“When an Earth Angel steps in and rescues someone who’s capable of rescuing him-or herself, this is called enabling. It means that you’re taking away someone’s opportunity to grow and learn.”
“If they would put half the energy they expend arguing for what they can’t do toward arguing in favor of what they can do, then they would be well on their way to living their dream lives.”
“When you complain, are you looking for sympathy or solutions? The honest answer to this question can help reveal hidden fears of which you were unaware.”
“Your body is one of the most accurate divination tools on this physical plane. It is a crystal that resonates with energy vibrations.”
“Not even God can intervene when someone has made a freewill choice to suffer, or perform a hurtful deed.”
“By focusing on other people’s dramas, you attract drama into your own life.”
“It’s time to stop playing ‘little’! Your life purpose could be the one to change the world and save the entire planet…Power comes from God, plain and simple. Since you can never be detached from this power, no one can block you from it-that is, unless you give it away. Giving your power away means that you wait to get permission from someone else before following through on your inner guidance…All it takes is for you to recognize and assume your power and it’s automatically enacted, to the point where you’re aware of it and appreciate it.”
Overall, this book wasn’t horrible- I found a few phrases worth reading and would probably share with someone who was still in the grasp of their ego. ( )
  evolvingthread | Feb 15, 2014 |

Do people take advantage of your niceness? In this groundbreaking book, Doreen Virtue teaches Earth Angels —extremely sweet people who care more about others’ happiness than their own—how to maintain their inner peace and loving nature while at the same time holding boundaries. You’ll discover how to overcome fears about saying no, and how to ask for what you want from those around you and from the universe.
Assertiveness for Earth Angels is for anyone who wants to learn the art of speaking up in relationships and in their activism about issues related to the world. Whether you need more assertiveness with your family, on the job, or in your healing work, you’ll appreciate Doreen’s gentle-but-firm approach to negotiating your earthly needs in heavenly ways!

Counsels the selfless on how to assert their own wants and needs, instead of always trying to please everyone else, in order to be happier and more able to help others.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,376,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible