The Long Road: A Postapocalyptic Novel by G…

The Long Road: A Postapocalyptic Novel

by G Michael Hopf

Recommended - if you are looking for sheer, mindless escapism of the postapocalyptic variety - sans zombies. So-so if you require good writing and character development along with a shoot-em-all-up plot.

The End and The Long Road are both postapocalyptic novels by G. Michael Hopf. The novels have several storylines in the narrative, but begin by mainly follow former marine Gordon Van Zandt and his family after a super EMP (electromagnetic pulse) attack against the USA. Gordon immediately realizes what is happening and takes measures to secure supplies for his family. As he knew would happen, society immediately begins to break down. Unless a group of people can somehow manage to work together to protect their members without infighting, it is every man/family for themselves.

Originally self-published novels they are now being released by Plume/The Penguin Group in anticipation of the pending third installment of the story to be published soon.

Pros: The plot is interesting and will keep you engrossed in the story development and action. The movement of the scenarios in both of these books progress swiftly along. Whether you find the actions of characters believable or not at least the various storylines keep up a quick pace. It's always interesting to speculate what would happen to society and people under these kind of circumstances. Hopf includes all sorts of crazy groups and leaders. The Long Road is better than The End.

Cons: Someone got out their binos. If you read my reviews, you will know what this means. I may have to make a New Year's resolution or enact a rule that I will not read books where binos are produced.
Lots of violence and not all of it seems to be entirely necessary for forward movement of the plot.
The writing isn't the best. I would have set the first book aside well before the 50 page mark if I hadn't agreed to read it for a review. The second paragraph in The End would have been enough, but the following passage would certainly have ended my reading: "Hayley was small for her age, very girly with long, blond curly hair and very fine features. She was definitely all-girl and loved everything princess." (The End, pg. 16) especially when Gordon loved the same things about his wife: "He loved everything about her from her small frame and long, wavy blond hair to her light green eyes and full lips."(pg. 19) I sure would have liked to know something else about her, like maybe some character traits, besides her looks.
There are many other examples before the 50 page mark, so be forewarned: not good writing.

I might be tempted to say it would be a good airplane book - mindless escapism to keep you busy - but with the EMP hitting and sending planes falling from the sky...

Disclosure: I received an advanced reading copy of this book from the publisher and TLC for review purposes.

SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
I will be honest in saying I really disliked this book. I found it very 'clunky', and felt that the author was trying to do too much. I felt like it was all over the place and nothing meshed. I didn't feel any type of connection with the characters and I couldn't bring myself to care about their welfare. I won't be reading any further in the series. ( )
  LeleliaSky | Jan 9, 2016 |
This book is part two of the series and it is every bit as good as the first one. I could not put it down. The survival story continues in this book and I was fascinated to see what other adventures the characters went through in order to survive. The only thing I didn't enjoy was that the third book hasn't been published yet! ( )
  booksgaloreca | Mar 7, 2014 |
The Long Road is the second installment in G. Michael Hopf's The New World Series, and I enjoyed this second book more than the first because it had more twists and turns to it. This one starts off in the future 2066 as Haley, Gordon's daughter, is telling the story of what happened to her family when the world ended.

The story Haley is telling takes place six weeks after the events of the first book. Now that the world has changed and society has fallen, Gordon tries to keep his family alive as they make the trek to Idaho and to safety.

There are a few different characters in this one like Rahab, a crazy religious fanatic, whose actions seemed outlandish and over the top to me. I have to say, without spoiling the plot, something Rahab did made me gasp out loud. Another character is Pablo, involved in his father's Mexican drug cartel and who is trying to build an empire. I felt like this one ventured off a bit too much in different directions sometimes with different story lines. I would have liked to just read about Gordon and Samantha and their struggles to survive, at one point they are separated as the story comes to its conclusion. I didn't mind reading about the President of the U.S., Vice President Cruz and Colonel Barone as well.

This second installment ends in a cliffhanger, as Book 3 is due out in April. I am curios to see whatever happened to Gordon.
I could definitely see these books being made into a tv miniseries of some kind.

"After almost seven weeks, they estimated that more than 13 million Americans were dead. The initial day had killed hundreds of thousands, then those in need of urgent medical care had followed in tens of thousands over the next few days. Civil unrest took thousands more in the first days. Starvation began to take those weak, young and old by more tens of thousands."
p.36, The Long Road by G. Michael Hopf

Disclaimer:
This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors, such as this one, I am under no obligation to write a positive review.
I received my copy of The Long Road via TLC Book Tours in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Feb 13, 2014 |
"The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity." Ulysses S. Grant
To my daughters
Haley rubbed her thumb repeatedly across the smooth surface of the compass.

"Only six weeks have passed since a super-EMP attack devastated the United States, but already life has changed dramatically. Most of America has become a wasteland filled with starving bands of people, mobs, and gangs. Millions are dead and millions more are suffering, with no end in sight. For Gordon, Samantha, Sebastian, Cruz, and Barone, the turmoil and chaos they dealt with in the early weeks after the attack will seem trivial in comparison to the collapse of society that plays out before their eyes. Uncertainty abounds as they all travel different paths in search of a safe place to call home. The only thing that is definite is that the long road will take its toll on all of them"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,546,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible