American Jezebel: The Uncommon Life of Anne…

American Jezebel: The Uncommon Life of Anne Hutchinson, the Woman Who… (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Eve LaPlante

Member:bibefile
Title:American Jezebel: The Uncommon Life of Anne Hutchinson, the Woman Who Defied the Puritans
Authors:Eve LaPlante
Info:HarperOne (2005), Paperback, 336 pages

American Jezebel by Eve LaPlante (2004)

Read for R/L B/C. Although I did learn something it was full of boring repetitiveness throughout. I doubt that I even want to sit through the B/C meeting. Might go just for the coffee. ;-)

American Jezebel; interesting topic but written quite redundantly about Anne Hutchinson, New England's foremother and Harvard's midwife. I don't know about others, but I was very bored by 1/3 of the way through the book. Puritan New England, not told in the best manner. A 1 1/2 star read for me and I really can't recommend it. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Mar 11, 2012 |
Eve LaPlante actually manages to make early American bickering about doctrine interesting and pertinent. Whether one is saved by grace or by works, comes down to whether one can experience God herself, or must have God interpreted for her by the male hierarchy. Anne Hutchinson insists on her won personal experience of God, and is thrown out of Massachusetts for it. She moves on to help found Rhode Island, the first state truly founded on religious freedom. A captivating read! ( )
  ziziaaurea | Oct 31, 2010 |
Themes: gender roles, religion, separation of church and state, individual freedom versus community
Setting: Massachusetts 1638 or so

Anne Hutchinson was a terrible threat to the Puritan fathers of Boston. She discussed scriptures. And she was a woman. That's really about it. She also didn't agree with them, but I think even if she had, the idea that a woman was perfectly capable of reading, writing, reasoning, and preaching was going to make them very uncomfortable, no matter what else she did.

This is a biography of Hutchinson and a story of the time and place she lived in. It includes a bit about the religious controversies involved and talks a lot about the other players in the case. She was eventually brought to trial, more than once, and charged with “traducing the ministers.” John Winthrop, governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, conducted the trial himself and made it his mission to get her punished for her behavior. He won, eventually, and Hutchinson and her family were forced to move to Rhode Island and then to Long Island where Hutchinson died.

Hutchinson is an interesting subject, but something about this book just couldn't hold my interest. At one point I skipped ahead 100 pages and I really hadn't missed anything. I didn't enjoy this book very much. But I won't anti-recommend this book, if you know what I mean, because I think for the right reader, this would be a good book. Just not for me. 2 stars ( )
  cmbohn | Jul 22, 2010 |
Okay biography. Hutchinson was quite fascinating. The biographer pushed too hard on her concept of "Jezebel," though. ( )
  lysimache | Jul 6, 2007 |
Interesting book discussion in my readers' group. The line-by-line transcript of her trial got a bit dull at times. ( )
1 vote NewsieQ | Mar 8, 2007 |
"You certainly think right when you think Boston people are mad. The frenzy was not higher when they banished my pious great grandmother, when they hanged the Quakers and...the poor innocent witches, than the political frenzy has been for a twelve-month past." - Thomas Hutchinson, Governor of Massachusetts, August 1770
To David and Rose, Clara, Charlotte, and Philip
One warm Saturday morning in March, as I let my children out of our minivan alongside a smal road in rural Rhode Island, a part of America we'd never visited before, a white pickup truck rolled to a stop beside us.

The Dramatic Story of America's Founding Mother

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:44 -0400)

Recounts the life and political achievements of the seventeenth-century feminist, noting her successful reform efforts in spite of the limitations placed on Puritan women and multiple charges of heresy and sedition.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,769,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible