Happy Utopia Day, Joe McCarthy by J.T. Lundy

Happy Utopia Day, Joe McCarthy

by J.T. Lundy

So there is a small but growing faction of politicians intent on bringing back the edicts of that nut job Senator Joseph McCarthy, who call themselves the Big Mac party ("BM" for short although BS would have been more fitting). Chris Thompson is drafted by the President himself and the Secretary of State to thwart the evil doers. Only the Sec of State is also one of them, so the Prez has to concoct another reason as to why Chris has been hired so that the Sec of State will go along with it -- that being that America is being invaded from all sides by millions of illegals from Canada and Mexico. It's all very crazy and fun until it turns just silly. Hmm, I wonder if The Donald has read this book? ( )
  kdabra4 | Jul 26, 2015 |
A fun, satirical romp through modern day McCarthyism. A strange and unlikely bunch of characters team up to save the world from McCarthyism and the-"Big Mac Party"-believing renegades who want to take over the government. The unlikely heroes and their situations had me giggling and shaking my head. But it was never dull. I did enjoy this political farce. ( )
  Dannadee | Oct 29, 2014 |
The description had potential, but it just wasn’t the novel that was promised. There’s a fine line between absurd (but entertaining) representations of reality and pure silliness. I felt the satire in this novel was too ridiculous and obvious to be either funny or compelling. The characters weren’t much better- they struck me as flat and stereotypical. Overall, really struggled through this book. ( )
  Kristilafollette | May 29, 2014 |
This book was fairly well-written. I did see a few grammatical errors, but not major ones. The story wasn’t my type of story and it didn’t catch and hold my attention, but it wasn’t horrible. Someone else may find it engaging. ( )
  eheinlen | Mar 6, 2014 |
The first time I read this book, I hated it. I've never read political satire before and it just seemed ridiculous.

Then I read it again, and again, and again, because I loved it.

It's packed with satire. I couldn't stop laughing while I was reading it. It IS ridiculous, and that's what's great about it- it fully captures the absurdity of McCarthyism. The Big Mac Party, the MacWacky, and outsourcing apple pie are all fantastic. ( )
  suigenic | Mar 4, 2014 |
"Lundy is a talented writer who crafts vivid characters, keeps the overcomplicated story moving at a brisk pace and serves up vigorous prose with punchy dialogue. ...An entertaining if over-the-top saga of demagoguery run amok."

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

J.T. Lundy's book Happy Utopia Day, Joe McCarthy was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

J.T. Lundy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,426,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible