Creating an Ideal Life by Janet DeLee

by Janet DeLee

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byKanellio

No tags.

Walt Disney once said, “If you can dream it, you can do it”. In Janet DeLee’s debut novel, CREATING AN IDEAL LIFE, Ginny Lawther embodies Disney’s belief, although often with great trepidation. As the protagonist, Baby Boomer Ginny realizes that circumstances have given her a valid reason to change the direction her life has been going. Due to the recession, Ginny’s lawn and garden business is withering in the Texas heat, so she decides to take a chance, risk stability, and realize her lifetime dream of becoming a writer.

Ginny sets the wheels in motion to travel to Italy in order to find inspiration for her writing. DeLee shares what I believe is also her own philosophy as she has Ginny using sensible and detailed plans to make this happen. Positive affirmations and keeping a diary are just part of what gives readers an inside look at how Ginny goes about creating her IDEAL LIFE.

At first I felt CREATING AN IDEAL LIFE started a bit slowly but that only lasted the first few pages as the author gives readers some details about Ginny’s background. These, I soon found, turn out to be necessary background for what is to follow.

The majority of the book not only is a narrative of Ginny’s experiences but also similar to an Italian travel guide. Janet DeLee gives such a personal yet wide-ranging description of Italy, that one can create that all important mental image and feel like they are with Ginny on her adventure. The characters are well fleshed out and so it is quite easy to get caught up in their lives, especially Ginny‘s. DeLee makes the story even more likable and persuasive because of the realistic, individual tour of Italy that readers go on with Ginny. I have never been to Italy but the description had all my senses alive with what I was experiencing on this trip!

Where all this leads Ginny and what may follow will keep readers turning pages, and like me, looking for a sequel to see what will happen to Ginny next. Kudos to Janet DeLee on her debut novel and I imagine it made one of her lifetime dreams come true as well. ( )
  Kanellio | Oct 9, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,099,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible