To Dwell in Darkness by Deborah Crombie

To Dwell in Darkness

by Deborah Crombie

I've jumped around in the series and kinda wish that I had followed in order since the relationship between Duncan and Gemma is always evolving and now they are married. There is also some long running stories that are referenced but naturally not told so it makes me curious as to know more about the references i.e. Charlotte their foster child - there is a story as to how/why they are fostering/adopting her, but the cause happened in the previous(?) book.

Really enjoy and love this series.

The ending of this was so grand - the who dunit was shocking and the last sentence after the discovery of a "suicide" of the man who they had been searching for is obvious the set up for the next book/story.
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
To Dwell in Darkness by Deborah Crombie is the very highly recommended sixteenth novel in the ongoing police procedural series featuring Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James.

Superintendent Duncan Kincaid has been transferred to the London borough of Camden, what seems to be, in reality, a demotion. He is missing his old team and trying to get used to his new detective inspector, Jasmine Sidana, when there is a deadly bombing at historic St. Pancras Railway Station. It appears that one member of a group of preservation activists who were there protesting may have immolated himself with a white phosphorous grenade. The shocked protestors claim it was supposed to be a harmless smoke bomb. Two friends of the family are also injured in the attack.

While Duncan works this case, Gemma is solving a case of her own. And then there is the mother cat and four kittens that their sons rescue from the garden shed. It is another busy police procedural set amidst a hectic family life. Not only is Duncan on the case, but many characters from previous novels in the series are back as well as some new characters.

My previous review of The Sound of Broken Glass shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-sound-of-broken-glass.html may also give more background information on thefamily and characters.

This is another winner from Crombie. The investigation is followed closely, step by step. Since this is certainly an ongoing series there are loose ends that will be tied up in the future, as, I imagine, more loose ends will appear. Certainly Crombie provides enough basic information that you can read this as a stand-alone novel, but you will certainly want to consider reading more in the series.

Personal aside: Although it seems inconsequential, I was slightly annoyed that Gemma and Melody were always nibbling sandwiches or sipping tea and never seriously eating and drinking in the last novel. I literally laughed aloud when Gemma mentioned that she and Melody had drunk pots of tea in one chapter. Probably my rambling thoughts about it had nothing to do with this being included, but it pleased me enormously.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of HarperCollins for review purposes.

SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
A protester detonates a phosphorous grenade at an outdoor concert, and the friends of the suspected "bomber" (whose remains are beyond identification) can't believe him capable of such a thing. A mystery revolves around the bomber's identity and motive, whether he killed himself or was killed, whether he was the intended victim, and who knew about it.

This is my first introduction to Deborah Crombie, and this book is the 16th in the "Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James" series. I wasn't sure whether I could easily jump this far into a series, or if I might feel a little lost.

Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James have a growing family and manage different forces. Kincaid, formerly of Scotland Yard HQ, has recently been promoted and has a new team working under him, but he isn't above looking to former co-workers for help when needed. Gemma has her own murder case to solve, but this novel mostly involves her as a wife and mother, and you don't see much of her work life.

The story is told in third-person with a host of characters. Other than Duncan and Gemma, there is Melody, Andy, Doug, Tam, Duncan's new DI Jasmine Sidana, and more detectives, and then a host of other characters playing witnesses or otherwise involved with the cases. Sometimes when the point-of-view would shift, it would take a few seconds for me to orient myself and figure out who this character was and how they related to the other characters. I think this is a side-effect of being unfamiliar with this series. For someone who has been reading Deborah Crombie and is familiar with this particular series, I think it would have come much more naturally.

One of the drawbacks to jumping so far into a series is that there isn't going to be a whole lot of character development-- it's already been done in past novels. And another drawback is that there are little allusions to past occurrences and quirks and things from past novels that leave you feeling that you are sort of missing out on a private joke.

My final word: That all being said, I really enjoyed the author's writing style, which was very easy to read and engaging. The story was suspenseful at moments, and a little sentimental at times, but always well done. I can see why the author is so popular! She paints a good mystery with a colorful palette of characters, and I can imagine it’d be fun to follow the lives of these recurring characters over the years, from book to book. Even though I haven’t read the first 15 books in the series, I want to find out what happens with the characters from here, and will be keeping an eye out for the next in the series! ( )
  nfmgirl2 | Jul 24, 2015 |
since I haven't been keeping up with this series I was a bit at sea about the major characters' backstories. Interesting mystery but cliff-hanger at end.
  ritaer | Jul 22, 2015 |
Detective Sergeant Melody Talbot was there at London’s Pancras train station enjoying her friend’s concert. She’d seen a small group organized of protestors off to the side. Then, she heard a ‘whoosh’ and people screaming. When she turns back to where the protestors had been, she witnesses a person on fire and several other casualties. With her training, she goes to work – first calling Emergency Services Control, and then trying to clear and contain the area. It wasn’t a bomb, but some type of incendiary device containing white phosphorous.

Duncan Kincaid heads up the investigation. He’d recently been transferred from Scotland Yard headquarters to the London borough of Camden. He has questions about the transfer, but hasn’t been able to get answers. All of the protestors seem to be keeping some dark secrets. Kincaid is not only trying to obtain the identification of the person who died, but is also trying to find one of the group that is now missing. Everyone thinks it may be one in the same, but then a young woman comes forward and tells him that her boyfriend is also missing. Separately, Detective Inspector Gemma James is pulled into an investigation of an abduction and murder of a twelve year old girl.

Dwell in Darkness is the newest (#16) in the police procedural series of Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. This is the first I’ve read of the series. I thought they could all be read as stand-alones, but it seems that may have changed with the last couple of books. So this story does not end as completely as I would have hoped. I did enjoy the main characters of Kincaid and Gemma. They are very personable and likeable. Their investigative actions were believable for the most part. I thought the small sideline into their children finding and wanting to keep kittens was charming. Rating: 3 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Jun 11, 2015 |
To the best support group a writer could have--
My fellow Jungle Red Writers:  Rhys Bowen, Lucy Burdette,
Hallie Ephron, Julia Spencer-Fleming, Susan Elia MacNeal,
and Hank Phillippi Ryan.  Your friendship and encouragement
have been a continuing joy and privilege.

Jungle Reds rock!
In the first moment of waking, he had no idea who he was.

The bombing isn't the only mystery troubling Kincaid. He's still questioning the reasons behind his transfer, and when his former boss—who's been avoiding him—is attacked, those suspicions deepen. With the help of his former sergeant, Doug Cullen, Melody Talbot, and Gemma, Kincaid begins to untangle the truth. But what he discovers will leave him questioning his belief in the job that has shaped his life and his values—and remind him just how vulnerable his precious family is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:28 -0400)

CRIME & MYSTERY. In the tradition of Elizabeth George, Louise Penny, and P. D. James, New York Times bestselling author Deborah Crombie delivers a powerful tale of intrigue, betrayal, and lies that will plunge married London detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James into the unspeakable darkness that lies at the heart of murder. Recently transferred to the London borough of Camden from Scotland Yard headquarters, Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his new murder investigation team are called to a deadly bombing at historic St. Pancras Station. By fortunate coincidence, Melody Talbot, Gemma's trusted colleague, witnesses the explosion. The victim was taking part in an organized protest, yet the other group members swear the young man only meant to set off a smoke bomb. As Kincaid begins to gather the facts, he finds every piece of the puzzle yields an unexpected pattern, including the disappearance of a mysterious bystander.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,956,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible