Much Ado About Jack by Christy English

I was able to get a copy of Much Ado About Jack through Netgalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca, and I am thrilled I was able to get a opportunity to read this one. This is the first time I had heard of this author, but when I noticed that it was a part of a series, a series that is based on Shakespeares plays, I was intrigued before I even picked this one up. I have always loved shakespeare, especially his comedies. But my all time favorite play is Much Ado About Nothing, and this story is slightly based upon that, with quite a few variations, but the theme is very similar. The tale is about a Captain James "Jack", who upon meeting the heroine (Angelique), desires her from the moment he meets her and is determined more than anything to gain her trust and has quite a healthy desire for her. But what turns from a night in the sack with Angelique, turns into a fierce courtship, where Jack will have to prove himself to Angelique before he will be able to gain her trust into her heart. I did enjoy the story quite a bit, but I did have a somewhat hard time getting fully into the story, despite that I really enjoyed the setting, characters and the fun plot. There was quite a bit of dramatic flair to this story, but I found it to enhance the story more. I loved seeing the flirting game these two have going on, quite amusing and fun to read. A sexy romp of a romance, that definintely grabs your attention. A WINNER!!!I can hardly wait until I can get my hands on the two earlier books, should be wild fun!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 19, 2014 |
Angelique is a widow of 10 years. She finds James Montgomery on her ship. He desires her ship which is not for sale and he desires her but she says no to both and walks away. Knowing he will have her, he prepares for a siege of her. Angelique is intrigued with him but will not allow any man to rule her life again. The battle of wills begins. Who will fold first? I loved these two characters. Neither will give way. When Angelique's business is on the verge of ruin and her best friend is being threatened Angelique decides which is most important. I liked that she put her friend first. I liked that Angelique was independent and that James did not try to break that independence as other men in her past tried and almost succeeded. I also liked that Angelique respected her elders though they were lower in the social strata than she. Angelique is the friend you want by your side. She was loyal, resilient, intelligent, and courageous. James is a hero you want. He is brave and smart enough to know to let Angelique be herself, even if what she did was not what was dictated by society. A good read. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 6, 2014 |
I love a nice historical romance so I was eager to read Much Ado About Jack. I found this one started off with a bag, but started to fizzle a bit for me halfway through.

Countess Angelique Beauchamp is a wealthy widow who enjoys her freedom. She's been burned by love in the past and she promises herself that will never happen again. Enter Captain James Montgomery, a retired Naval captain. As soon as he sees Angelique he knows he has to have her. When some trouble arises concerning Angelique's best friend and a villain from their past returns, Angelique heads off to save her friend. In the process, she also adopts her late ex-husbands daughter.
I liked Captain Montgomery straight away and Angelique as well. She is no damsel in distress, she's feisty and has a mind of her own. The ton of course all talk about Angelique and her lovers since it's all scandalous.

Montgomery is the perfect hero, he's a bit cocky, brave, handsome as the devil and vows to get his lady. Plus he's a friggin' Scottish naval captain with beautiful hair and a six-pack, what more could you want from a hero in a fluffy historical romance?

Through a twist of fate, Angelique becomes guardian to her late husbands now orphaned daughter. She decides to take the young girl in and give her a good life. Also in the plot is her quest to save her best friend Arabella's reputation and save her own fortune from the Duke of Hawthorne.

Angelique and James have great chemistry and I had a smile on my face during some of their interactions. They've got the whole, "I want you, but we can't be together, it will never work, yes I will have you" thing down pact. I liked the power struggle between the two. I also liked that these two have flawed pasts and don't care what people think of them.

This is the third installment in the Shakespeare in Love Series by Christy English. ("Much Ado About Jack", "Much Ado About Nothing") Although this can be read as a stand alone novel, I wish I had read the other two installments first. I think this is why the book fizzled for me. Characters from the previous installments are in this one, and I would have liked to have known more about them by reading the other books. Also, Count Hawthorne, the villain, was just too villainous for me. As the plot thickens, and more twists and turns arise, I found myself not really caring about the supporting cast of characters too much.

This is not my first time reading Christy English's work. I read The Queen's Pawn and very much enjoyed it and the author was nice enough to stop by my blog in 2010 for an interview.

I like her style of writing, and Much Ado About Jack had some great lines:
"The sea Captain's lips were soft, sheathing his strength in silken pleasure. They moved over hers in lazy contemplation, not as if he would devour her, but as if he had all the time in the world to savor the taste of her, to feel her body warm beneath his hands."
p.30, Much Ado About Jack by Christy English

I also enjoyed how the author weaves in Shakespeare throughout the storyline. Lastly, the cover. I like it.

disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors, such as this one, I am under ( )
  bookworm_naida | Mar 29, 2014 |
MUCH ADO ABOUT JACK by Christy English is an exciting Regency Historical Romance 1818 England. #3 in the "Shakespeare in Love" series, but can be read as a stand alone.

From the author's note: *"Much Ado About Jack" begins one month prior to "Love on a Midsummer Night"*

Than the excitement begins......similar to Shakespeare's play: "Much Ado About Nothing", but with added fun, more danger, and passion. Follow Angelique Beauchamp, widowed Countess of Devonshire, and Captain James Montgomery on a journey of re-kindled passion, unexpected love, a bit of danger, and the lure of the sea. Can a temporary liaison turn into true love? One loves the sea the other was burned by love and determined no man will NEVER touch her heart again, nor will she be betrayed by a man again. But things change after Angelique has a dalliance with Captain James, who Prinny calls Captain Jack. A fun read with lots of passion and danger thrown into the mix. If you enjoy historical romance, sea adventures,lots of passion and a bit of mystery, than you will enjoy "Much Ado About Jack". Oh, did I mention a dysfunctional family, a mean-spirited brother, and a wounded lover? The characters are engaging as well as realistic. The storyline was intriguing as well as interesting. An enjoyable read. Received for an honest review from the publisher.

RATING: 4

HEAT RATING: HOT

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Courtesy of My Book Addiction and Mor ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Feb 3, 2014 |

Vowing never to marry, the beautiful widowed Countess of Devonshire engages in a passionate affair with Captain James Montgomery until he wants to turn their temporary liaison into something more permanent.

Christy English is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,421,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible