A Fine Gentleman by Sarah M. Eden

A Fine Gentleman

by Sarah M. Eden

Jason Jonquil has built up a persona as a serious gentleman. When an infuriating Spanish girl waltzes into his office, his patience is tested and he eventually sees through her own front. As their association continues, he discovers his own true self.

Jason's character is my favorite person in this book. I loved his serious barrister self he presented to the world, and I understood why he behaved as he did. His irritation with Miss Mariposa Thornton made me smile, and I was very much on his side through the whole thing. It was easy to jump into the story, even though it is the fourth in a series.

The only point that didn't sit well with me is the romantic feelings between Jason and Mariposa seemed rushed, but I'm not a fan of fast paced romances.

This is a book for Regency fans.

I received a free copy from NetGalley, and my opinion is my own. ( )
  TheQuietReader | May 5, 2017 |
A sweet regency romance set in England with roots in Spain. A Fine Gentleman is a light read featuring love mingled with a bit of war-time mystery. ( )
  Nicole_L_Ochoa | Apr 29, 2017 |
Have you ever been in a public place, quietly reading a book and snorted at a very humorous part? That is what happened to me when I read this book. Of course, there was a lull in the conversation going on around me and everyone looked at me. This book has many "snort out loud" moments.

The book is part of a series featuring the Jonquil brothers. I have read a few of them and not in order. The books can stand alone, but it is more fun to find out what happens to all of the brothers.

This is a regency romance that the MC is a young woman from Spain who is looking for her English relatives. She tricks Jason Jonquil into being her solicitor. She has a quick wit and is a strong female lead. She is desperate for help and goes to a family that is full of integrity.

Jason is a bit stiff. His goal is to be respectable, and being a solicitor is about as respectable as it gets. He doesn't like frivolity and holds his character. The question is, will Mariposa be able to get through his tough outer shell to the man who is hiding behind respectability?

If you love regency, laughing, banter, intrigue, and clean romance, you should definitely give this book a try.

Source: I received a copy of this book from the publisher. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Mar 7, 2017 |
Title: A Fine Gentleman
Author: Sarah M. Eden
Pages: 256
Year: 2017
Publisher: Covenant Communications, Inc.
My rating is 5 stars.
Jason Jonquil is a barrister and one of eight children, all boys. He has grown estranged from his oldest brother after their father’s death and has made himself less humorous. He is very good at his job and comes highly recommended. However, he has also become stern and staid. He lives in rented rooms because his grief is too great to live at home; the memories of his father hurt too much.
In to his office walks Miss Mariposa Thornton. She truly becomes a thorn in his side. She is seeking a barrister to find her father’s solicitor because he has died and she is due an inheritance. What Jason doesn’t know is there is much more to the vacuous-appearing Miss Thornton. Unbeknownst to Jason, she is searching for her mother and brother as they got separated when fleeing war-torn Spain during Napoleon’s invasion. She has also been threatened by a well-known French spy with death for herself and her family. On a journey for truth, each one of them makes new discoveries about themselves and each other.
The opening few scenes between Mariposa and Jason are brilliant! The dialogue is witty, and at times subtle or straight forward. There were several times I was laughing out loud at how cleverly Mariposa manipulated the conversation. I could certainly identify with Jason’s frustration and irritation. However, rather quickly, they each bring out the best in the other. Jason is more lighthearted and doesn’t take himself so seriously, has begun to deal with this grief and has returned to a close relationship with his oldest brother. Mariposa has learned to be honest, to let her compassion show more and to trust. This is a delightful romance! I look forward to reading more books from this author as this one was just great! Kudos Sarah on a job well done!!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Mar 7, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 144048175X, Paperback)

Book 4, The Jonquil Brothers Series. Jason Jonquil can't go anywhere, it seems, without hearing at least one of his many brothers praised to the skies. He is hard working and accomplished, but no one seems to notice. Especially Miss Mariposa Thornton. On the surface, she seems quite empty-headed. But Jason is certain she is hiding something. Initially, he wants nothing more than to be rid of the exasperating lady. But as her mask begins to slip, he finds himself wishing she saw him in the same way the world sees his brothers: as a gentleman worthy of admiration, respect and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:44 -0400)

London barrister Jason Jonquil has spent his entire life working to establish his identity as a man of refinement, like his father and brothers. But when fiery Spanish beauty Mariposa Thornton walks into his office, he finds himself losing his grasp on his dignified character. The woman is infuriating and pushes him to the end of his patience. Her case seems simple enough. It's only a small matter of inheritance, or so he believes ... Once a well-born lady, Mariposa fought to survive the brutalities of Napoleon's war on Spain. Now, Mariposa sets in motion a plan to reunite with her loved ones in England. To avoid drawing the attention of the French, Mariposa dons a carefully crafted persona to conceal her true purpose. Drawn together by the case, Jason and Mariposa come to know the person beneath the masks they both wear. But when the truth of Mariposa's quest is revealed, the couple is pulled into a mystery that will test the limits of their courage--and expose the true desire of their hearts.--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible