Mark One by John Hindmarsh

***Review Copy***

I hate to knock a writers hard work but this book left me wanting. The plot is solid but the execution was flawed. The writing felt stiff and blunt no subtlety at all. If this was his debut novel then good job if its not then the writer needs to step up his game.. ( )
  nubian_princesa | Jun 22, 2015 |
I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers, especially with a touch of science fiction. In this novel the fantastic elements come in the form of genetically engineered humans. Spare, fast moving prose without excess baggage or overindulgence in description or minor characters. I look forward to the rest in the series. I can easily picture this as a film or series on television also.

A copy of this book was provided for an honest interview. ( )
  RobynELee | Jan 25, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. Not only was it well wrote. It had a great plot line. It was full of action that was believable. It kept my interest through to the end. ( )
  bella55075 | Dec 20, 2013 |
Mark One is one of the best finds I've stumbled across since joining the Kindle community. The first in a series about Mark Midway, a genetically engineered human, is an excellent thriller.

The story is fast-paced and as realistic as thrillers get, perhaps more so in some ways -- as even the events that seem rather far-fetched at first turn out to be well-explained in ways that fall right in place with the overall plot (think Jason Bourne-style implausibilities, but with much more convincing rationalizations). The main characters are also very believable and well-developed (or well-developing, as I'm sure more is in store from Hindmarsh, based on the teaser for Mark Two appended to the Kindle edition).

Perhaps the best aspect of the book is the seamless blending of the thriller genre with some sci-fi elements from a just-after-tomorrow future. Well, that may not be the best aspect -- that honor needs to go to the tight plot and excellent action. ( )
  ulfhjorr | Dec 7, 2013 |
I received this ebook from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

One of my greatest joys from primarily reading indie authors is that I come across gems like Mark One by an author completely unknown to me.

Mark One is the first in a series about Mark Midway. A brief synopsis from the author is "an underlying theme of the Midway stories is basically a guy is genetically designed/engineered for a particular purpose and yet all he wants is a normal life - and the fates thwart him at every turn. So his friends get killed, or he gets kidnapped, etc. "

The story is credible and fast paced. It kept me fully enthused and captivated. As hypnotic as the story is, the character set the author develops is on the same plane. I found myself almost bonding with the characters including the dog Betsy. Mark One will be followed up by ............drum roll ................ Mark Two in 2014. Because of the manner in which Mark One ended, I was thankful that The first few chapters of Mark Two were included at the end of Mark One. I can tell you that the ending was well explained. The writing continues to be engrossing.

I enthusiastically recommend this book to anyone that reads for pleasure. They should be pleasantly satisfied. ( )
  honoliipali | Dec 5, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

John Hindmarsh's book Mark One was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,405,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible