Dust of Eden by Mariko Nagai

Dust of Eden

by Mariko Nagai

A slim novel in verse that chronicles the three years that Mina and her family spent in internment camps during World War II.

This is a very accessible book, easily recommended for upper elementary and middle school students as an introduction to an often overlooked part of American history. The strength of the story lies in Mina's observations about the indignities her family suffers and the hardships they face. I would have preferred more character development and emotional resonance, but as an instructional work of historical fiction, this fits the bill.

For an excellent nonfiction kids' book on the Japanese American internment, I highly recommend Joanne Oppenheim's Dear Miss Breed. It follows the correspondences of a San Deigo librarian with some of her former young patrons after they are relocated from their homes into internment camps. Filled with the actual letters, photos of the children, newspaper headlines and more, Dear Miss Breed exposes how a nation's fear could allow for this injustice. A real eye-opener and a compelling read. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
My rating and review can be found on my BookLikes page- http://abookdevourer.booklikes.com ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
  AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |

"We lived under a sky so blue in Idaho right near the towns of Hunt and Eden but we were not welcomed there." In early 1942, thirteen-year-old Mina Masako Tagawa and her Japanese-American family are sent from their home in Seattle to an internment camp in Idaho. What do you do when your home country treats you like an enemy? This memorable and powerful novel in verse, written by award-winning author Mariko Nagai, explores the nature of fear, the value of acceptance, and the beauty of life. As thought-provoking as it is uplifting, Dust of Eden is told with an honesty that is both heart-wrenching and inspirational.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:30 -0400)

"Thirteen-year-old Mina Tagawa and her Japanese-American family are forced to evacuate their Seattle home and are relocated to an internment camp in Idaho, where they live for three years"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,063,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible