Postcards from the Past by Marcia Willett

Postcards from the Past

by Marcia Willett

‘Postcards from the Past’ is primarily about a retired brother and sister, Ed and Billa, who live in comfort in a pleasant home in Cornwall. The story starts when they receive a disturbing postcard from their step-brother Tris. They disliked him intensely as a child, and have not heard from him in about fifty years...

It took me a while to get into this book. Marcia Willett has quite a gift of description, but that's not my thing so I found myself skimming a little, wondering where the story would go. But gradually, as with others by this author, I found myself feeling more and more involved. There are a lot of other characters, and I was delighted to realise that some of them were in a novel I enjoyed a couple of years ago,‘The Christmas Angel’.

There are a lot of sub-plots, mostly enjoyable; I didn't quite believe in the parts that include the unpleasant Tris, but then the author's characters are usually so likeable (albeit flawed) that I suspect she has a hard time writing believable baddies.

Overall, I enjoyed it and would certainly recommend it to anyone who has read ‘The Christmas Angel’. Marcia Willett’s books are always free of bad language and anything that would be rated more than PG, although it’s not a story for children.
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
After their respective marriages end, a brother and sister return to their childhood home to a comfortable retirement near friends. Their contentment is disrupted when postcard start arriving from a half-brother they haven't seen or heard from for 50 years. A nice story about good people facing unpleasant memories. There are also some nice dogs and maybe too much description of trivial objects and peripheral characters. Library book. ( )
  seeword | Dec 19, 2015 |
Quick, light read that I thoroughly enjoyed while reading but can't remember much about a week after finishing. Would be a good "beach" read. ( )
  kellyn | Jun 19, 2015 |

Can you ever escape your family ties?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:46 -0400)

Can you ever escape your family ties? Siblings Billa and Ed share their beautiful, grand old childhood home in rural Cornwall. Their lives are uncomplicated. With family and friends nearby and their free and easy living arrangements, life seems as content as can be. But when postcards start arriving from a sinister figure they thought belonged well and truly in their pasts, old memories are stirred. Why is he contacting them now? And what has he been hiding all these years?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,007,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible