The Pulse: Book 1 in the Pulse Trilogy by…

The Pulse: Book 1 in the Pulse Trilogy

by Shoshanna Evers

The Pulse would be categorized as post-apocalyptic dystopian.  It seems to take in present time.  The characters believe, and the reader from the information available to us, that a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse device has knocked out all everything in the United States, including modern vehicles, radios, electricity, etc.  Although, so far in the series, the characters have not made it out of New York state, so we really have no idea what condition the rest of the country and world are in.

Marshall law is in effect, which, in some situations, gives full power to the wrong leaders.  The power is abused.  The ones in charge have all the power and prey on the weaker, especially the single women who have to prostitute in order to eat and survive.

Mason is great at living on his own and making his own way.  He knows if he goes to live with the group he will be executed without question if they find out who he is.  There is a shoot on sight order in effect for all convicts.  Also, he naturally prefers to be a loner.

Emily was a nurse before the pulse.  She tried living on her own, but couldn't make it.  She gets caught by the ones in charge and taken to the New York FEMA center headed by a cruel leader.  Being a single woman, she is taken to the Tracks, a place where single women are used as whores by the soldiers.  Emily finds something being kept secret that changes everything so she makes a run for it.

Mason and Emily cross paths and try to make a go of it together.  She's a nurse so she has a very in demand service during a time when medical aide is almost nonexistent.  He is a big, able, self-sufficient man with a good moral compass which is a must for a woman to make it in the current world.

I read most of this book in one setting.  I like how the author tried to tell it realistically.  The extents they must go, the filth, what is available for food, etc.  I also like how the story was still able to be sexy despite all of the above mentioned.  I'm looking forward to the other books in the series.

***ARC was given from author for an honest review***

toni

post-apocalyptic dystopian greatness http://divasdiscussions.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-pulse-by-shoshanna-evers.html ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

***ARC was given from author for an honest review***

toni

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
*Please note that this is an x-rated kind of book and my review talks about it.

I had many issues with this book. I felt the language was extremely vulgar for the circumstances. The women of the story were raped and forced to prostitute themselves for food and the terms used just didn't flow with that to me.

Emily escaped and was scared and broken yet when she met Christopher she threw herself at him and talked about how wet he made her. She was captured and brought back to grand central and one of the soldiers forced her to go down on him. When she got away and was back with Christopher she had flashbacks of the soldier making her do that and could not go down on him. Just didn't make sense to me that she had flashbacks from this but not the year of hell she just escaped.

At one point Christopher shot and killed someone who was attacking Emily and she totally went off the deep end of being mad. After all the things she was forced to do and endure I felt her reaction was overblown and didn't fit.

Every second Emily and Christopher are doing it. They are in a car trying to sleep yet they just have to have sex right then. They are in an unknown town with unknown people in the next room yet HAVE to have sex. Christopher leaves Emily at the town yet as soon as she comes upon him again they jump each other to have sex. They just seemed to have the urge at every inopportune moment of the book.

Other than those issues the story was decent. The pacing of the story was good and the world building was interesting. I don't feel that I will bother with reading book 2 unfortunately because I couldn't stomach the character that will be the female lead. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Nov 9, 2013 |

Shoshanna Evers is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible