Out of Time by D.G. Laderoute

Out of Time

by D.G. Laderoute

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
(I took care to give no obvious spoilers about the story)

Title: Out of Time
Author: D.G. Laderoute
Language: English
Series: no
Format: e-book
Number of pages: 736 on my smartphone, but 294 in the paperback edition (according to Librarything)
Publisher: Five Rivers Publishing
Year published: original 2013, my edition 2013
ISBN number: 978-1927400388
Topic of the book: tiem travel, spirits
Reason for reading: I won it at Librarything Early Reviewers.
Recommended: Yes!

Back cover text (from Amazon):
For Riley Corbeau, moving to a small town on Superior's north shore was an opportunity for his family to find a new beginning after the death of his mother. For Gathering Cloud, living on Kitche Gumi's shore now meant it was time seek a vision and become a man.

There on a beach of this legendary lake, two boys meet across time and impossibilities, brought together to face an ancient evil from Anishnabe folklore, and in doing so forge a friendship that defies time.

Comments on the back cover text:
Superior = Lake Superior.

First paragraph of chapter 1:
Raven cocked his head, casting a beady eye over a dead thing stewing in the sun.
It might have been a muskrat. It might have been a beaver. Raven didn't care. All that mattered was that it smelled ripe, sweet and ready to eat. But before he could hop down from his perch on a tamarack branch and start feasting, something else snagged his attention.

Review:
Story:
At first it was okay to read, not that interesting but also not that uninteresting. But I think about a quarter into the book, I really didn't want to stop reading anymore! I just like time-travel stories :P There aren't any big problems with time travel here (as there are in other time travel stories), but I don't think that's a problem in this story.
The characters were also interesting, especially the way they interacted.
I liked Turtle (the spirit) most, but I actually liked all of them :) It was a really enjoyable book to read! I do think it had a good length though, there weren't any unnecessary descriptions or anything.

Writing style:
Easy to read - it reads quite quickly.

Spelling errors/typos:
p. 286:
...and she liked it" >>
...and she liked it."

p. 402:
Riley jammed his eyes shut.. >>
Riley jammed his eyes shut.

p. 419:
We're used to strong smells.. >>
We're used to strong smells.

p. 671:
There was nothing he could about that. >>
There was nothing he could do about that.

p. 672:
It's medicine is gone. >>
Its medicine is gone.

p. 702:
..., because I thinking all about me. >>
..., because I was thinking all about me.

p. 716:
"I'm so going to miss you, man" >>
"I'm so going to miss you, man."

Conclusion:
A really enjoyable book!

Rereadability:
Yes, I do think I'm going to read it again sometime.

Also on my weblog here.
  mene | May 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Hard to get into but glad I did. Good story and likable characters. I heartily recommend this book and it will appeal to the younger set and well and older teens. ( )
  JimV | Dec 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One of my favourite books when I was young was a collection of Aboriginal stories about Glooscap and his friends. I learned a little about Native spirituality and loved the animal spirits and their antics and interactions. Out of Time is a wonderful YA story that reminded me of that old, lovely book. It is the story of two boys, one an Objibway, alone on his vision quest in a time long past, and the other a modern-day boy struggling to find his way in a new town, newly bereft of his mother and trying to get on with life with his father and sister. How they meet, the adventures they have, the relationship they develop and the challenge they overcome makes for an exciting page-turner. ( )
  katylit | Dec 6, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

D.G. Laderoute's book Out of Time was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,303,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible