Both Sides Now: A True Story of Love, Loss…

Both Sides Now: A True Story of Love, Loss and Bold Living.

by Nancy Sharp

611,268,033 (5)None

To find out your husband’s brain cancer has returned after eighteen months in remission on the day you deliver premature twins seems insurmountable and surreal. But this is exactly where Nancy Sharp’s true story starts.

This poignant memoir is beautifully written in short, powerful chapters that mirror the shock and heartache of caring for and losing a beloved husband while showing the resilience of the human spirit.

With a raw honesty and authenticity, Nancy brings us into her intimate experience of falling in love, going through in-vitro fertilization, a husband’s cancer diagnosis then juggling family, home and career while watching the love of her life fade away after his cancer returns. Her first person point of view of speaking to her husband and reflecting upon her own feelings brings the reader close to her and all she is experiencing.

“ I love the easiness of our relationship, and how relaxed I am with you. There is not need to analyze our status or what we mean to each other. Never once do I question the way you care, never once do I doubt you. We are sure about each other. Before you even utter the words, I read your mind: I want to marry her. Somehow it seems ordained that we be together. And this is what I told Joanie and my mom the first time you called me: “I just met the man I’m going to marry.”

The brevity of the chapters, as she describes in her Author’s Note, reflects her own grieving process of facing the painful realities in manageable doses.

This powerful memoir is about giving love and life your all then moving on with grace and strength to build a new life after loss and grief. It is a stunning tribute to the beauty of love and the resilience of the human spirit. ( )
  kathleen.pooler | Apr 2, 2014 |

A BRAVE AND VIVIDLY RENDERED memoir: when life and death collide, one young woman discovers how to hold both past and present at once⎯ ultimately lifting herself by bold living and a second chance at love.

Both Sides Now hinges on the day when Nancy Sharp delivered premature twins and learned that her husband's cancer had returned after eighteen months in remission. Set in New York City where the couple lived happily until Brett's shocking diagnosis in 1998, the story moves back in time through Nancy and her husband's courtship and marriage⎯and forward through Brett's death, when the twins were two and a half, he was not-quite forty, and Nancy was thirty-seven.

When life hands you the unthinkable, you must find new ways to see. Such is the ground on which Nancy rebuilt her world. She did so in Denver, Colorado after a chance conversation with a friend convinced her to take the leap of faith she needed. She'd long been drawn to the sturdiness of the Rocky Mountains and the bounty of their view. Telling as a whisper, the mountains offered her promise and possibility. And so she came with her five-year-old twins, never expecting to find love again in the pages of a magazine. This is a story of real courage and unexpected joy. It is also a story about Steve, Nancy's second husband, a widower with two children, and of the surprising turns life takes when blending two families torn by loss. Both Sides Now promises hard-won wisdom, a gift for those looking to rise again: The past is simply part of our story, but not the whole story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

A memoir about when life ad death collide, one young woman discovers how to hold both past and present at once, ultimately lifting herself by bold living and a second chance at love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible