Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money,…

Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship, and Betrayal

by Nick Bilton

193861,059 (4.03)1

Basically, the author wants to tell us Jack Dorsey is an a-hole. Considered that he is a very successful businessmen, it's easy to get the conclusion that if you want to be rich and famous, you have to be an a-hole who has to sacrifice your love and friends.

The whole book is very biased, not object at all, which is kind of funny and interesting.

I wish the author can spend more effort to analyze how to be a great a-hole. ( )
  zhliu0124 | Aug 7, 2017 |
The iterations of Twitter on the path to becoming what it is now is very interesting. But in many ways this was the Soap Opera digest version of the history of Twitter.

I was left feeling that if I actually knew any of the people involved in the startup I would be offended at how they were being depicted -- which ultimately took away from the story. ( )
  Darwa | Mar 18, 2016 |
I've never read about such a group of immature, whiny, backstabbing losers in my life! To think that some reviewers consider them brilliant is really pretty funny. They were mediocre thinkers with mediocre talent who couldn't cut it in real places, like Xerox PARC or Google, so they wind up at a start up, broke and desperate. The one who has had success, Ev, is good for the seed money. He at least founded Blogger, so he actually had done something, which was sold to Google for millions, making him successful. The other three Twitter founders -- Noah, Jack, and Biz -- were pretty much losers. They founded a company called Odeo that was going to take podcasting by storm, but were beaten to the punch by Apple. Jack and Noah drunkenly came up with the idea for Twitter one night, as an idea to escape loneliness. Noah came up with the name. And so it began. Ev stayed in the background, Biz handled publicity, Noah was the CEO and Jack was in charge of Engineering. I believe, if my memory serves me. This didn't last long. They had a board with capital invested and soon there was rumbling, with Ev doing his fair share of the rumbling. And so Noah was forced out. Jack was brought on as CEO and Ev as chairman. Biz did what he did best. In a little while, Twitter starts taking off, slowly, very slowly at first, but surely. Jack didn't want hash tags, but they emerged and they were brilliant. However, it became clear to everyone that Jack couldn't run a company. They were losing money left and right, weren't making a dime, everyone was on edge, and Ev and the board had had it up to here. So more backstabbing. And Jack was out the door. To plot his revenge. Ev took over as CEO. After all, he had successfully run Blogger, so why not this? Sounded good. Twitter had bought another company a little while before this happened and Jack had asked their main engineer to become director of ops at Twitter, a position this man didn't feel he was qualified for. After Jack was gone, the board asked him for a briefing. He told them, in a state of disbelief, that there was no backup to the system. That if the system crashed, Twitter was gone. And that Twitter was held together with string and wires to begin with. Not good news. They got to work fixing that. Jack had been in way over his head. [Let me interject here. It's clear that the author HATES Jack in this book, and has a serious man crush on Ev, so you have to take everything written about them with a grain of salt.] Okay. Twitter has grown to millions and millions of users. Hosting many millions of tweets daily. Ev has helped people like Oprah tweet her first tweet live on TV. But Jack has been plotting with one of the board members, who -- and this is never clearly explained -- loves Jack dearly, to get Jack back into the company. I could go on and on, but long story short, Ev is backstabbed by Jack and the board, is shoved out the door, Jack comes back as head honcho, Biz quits, we never hear from Noah again, and Twitter continues on, in spite of total incompetence and arrogance. Good book to read, disgusting people to read about. Cautiously recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Apr 3, 2015 |
In hatching new businesses, founders tend to collect business partners with little thought to whether this team is willing and able to weather startup stress together. Nick Bilton's Hatching Twitter is both a fascinating entrepreneurial story and a cautionary tale around co-founder manipulation, power games and resilience.
  newtonco | Jun 21, 2014 |
Thriller, Mystery, Biography, History, Finance, Psychology.
Oh, it's the Book about #Twitter.
Not sure why I chose this one, I have an account, but don't use it.
Wouldn't have time to read, if I added one more "diversion" to my life. #Seriously!
Interesting book - written before the company went public so very recently.
Now I'll have to read a bit more of current events to see who was still involved and what other twists'n'turns have taken place among the key players.

CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
"Get out," Evan Williams said to the woman standing in his office doorway

"Twitter seems like a perfect start-up success story. In barely six years, a small group of young, ambitious programmers in Silicon Valley built an $11.5 billion business out of the ashes of a failed podcasting company. Today Twitter boasts more than 200 million active users and has affected business, politics, media, and other fields in innumerable ways. Now Nick Bilton of the New York Times takes readers behind the scenes with a narrative that shows what happened inside Twitter as it grew at exponential speeds. This is a tale of betrayed friendships and high-stakes power struggles as the four founders-Biz Stone, Evan Williams, Jack Dorsey, and Noah Glass-went from everyday engineers to wealthy celebrities, featured on magazine covers, Oprah, The Daily Show, and Time's list of the world's most influential people. Bilton's exclusive access and exhaustive investigative reporting-drawing on hundreds of sources, documents, and internal e-mails-have enabled him to write an intimate portrait of fame, influence, and power. He also captures the zeitgeist and global influence of Twitter, which has been used to help overthrow governments in the Middle East and disrupt the very fabric of the way people communicate"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,545,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible