Demon Dentist by David Walliams

Demon Dentist (2013)

by David Walliams

Other authors: Tony Ross (Illustrator)

2071156,585 (4.15)3

Darkness had come to the town. Strange things were happening in the dead of night. Children would put a tooth under their pillow for the tooth fairy, but in the morning they would wake up to find… a dead slug; a live spider; hundreds of earwigs creeping and crawling beneath their pillow.

Evil was at work. But who or what was behind it…?
  JESGalway | May 23, 2018 |
Oh what fun. Some of this made me a little uncomfortable (it's a bit dark in places from an adult perspective and some the descriptions of the fat social worker make me wince) but overall it was a delight. Absolutely laugh out loud funny in places and full of creepiness galore. Plus knickers and fart jokes which are probably spot on for the intended age group ;) ( )
  lnr_blair | Jan 15, 2018 |
I love David Walliams in Little Britain so I was excited to find out he has written loads of books (that’s me, late to the game as usual). I’m just happy that I’ve started reading his books, because this one was great! He cites Roald Dahl as his literary influence and I definitely see that, but in a good way, not a cheap imitation way. Can’t wait to read more of his, which I plan to buy since my library system only has two titles. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
Narrated by David Williams, Jocelyn Jee Esien and Nitin Ganatra. The narrators are energetic in this humorous performance although I do wonder about stereotypical accents of West Indian Winnie and the South Asian news agent. Otherwise kids will glory in the gross horror and humor of a dentist gone mad. An entertaining and funny listen for the whole family--unless a parent is a dentist who won't appreciate the "scary dentist" angle. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Oct 10, 2016 |
This book was terrifically funny but pretty creepy! The evil lady in it (of whom I won't give the name) seemed so real she would often come to life and I would be scared to put my letters under my pillow! Quite sad at points but very happy at others, this book was a brilliant novel and I can't wait to read Walliams' next ones.

Short twelve-year-old Alfie was an ordinary little boy who led an ordinary life. His father had been confined to a wheelchair after having coal pulled up in his lungs in his young job as a miner. Alfie had to look after him by himself, for his mother died when he was only a little baby.

One day, when Alfie was out at school, the school dentist, Mr Erstwhile, had 'apparently stabbed himself with his own equipment', and a new, rather creepy looking woman, Mr Root, had taken his place. She would have probably broken the World Record of the creepiest look and the shiniest teeth, for everybody was dazzled by them.

Alfie hadn't been to the dentist for six years, for when he had had tooth ache, Mr Erstwhile had indeed used all his force to pull out the tooth causing it. But was it the causing tooth? Oh no. He had pulled out the wrong one. And when Alfie realised this, he started hiding stacks of dentist letters up on the pantry shelf, where no one could find them.

When Miss Root saw his rotten teeth, she immediately order to pull them out. She did so, leaving Alfie in great, great pain, more pain than he had ever felt. But I cannot show any spoilers. Only a few more freakish hints before you read the book yourself..

..There was somebody replacing innocent kids' teeth with revolting stuff..
..An interfering old bag tries to send Alfie to the dentist again and again..
..And finally, something happens to Dad I must not tell of..
..Read the book to find out more.. ( )
  LaviniaRossetti | Sep 6, 2016 |

David Walliamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ross, TonyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Antur, GruffuddTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The new jaw-achingly funny novel from David Walliams, the number one bestselling author! Make your appointment if you dare...Darkness had come to the town. Strange things were happening in the dead of night. Children would put a tooth under their pillow for the tooth fairy, but in the morning they would wake up to find...a dead slug; a live spider; hundreds of earwigs creeping and crawling beneath their pillow. Evil was at work. But who or what was behind it...? Read this book and find out!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:33 -0400)

Make your appointment if you dare. Darkness had come to the town. Strange things were happening in the dead of night. Children would put a tooth under their pillow for the tooth fairy, but in the morning they would wake up to find, a dead slug; a live spider; hundreds of earwigs creeping and crawling beneath their pillow. Evil was at work. But who or what was behind it? Read this book and find out!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,558,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible