The Lost Stone (The Kingdom of Wrenly) by…

The Lost Stone (The Kingdom of Wrenly)

by Jordan Quinn

I liked this book for a couple reasons. First, I like the simple manner in which it is written. This would be a good book for a developing reader. Secondly, I like that the writing is descriptive and clear. The story has a magic fairytale element that I also enjoyed. The message of the story is that it is important to have friends and not to look down on people. ( )
  rsochu1 | Mar 12, 2015 |
Prince Lucas is lonely since his father forbids him to play with any of the peasant children - which means he has no friends. He tries to sneak into school in disguise, but is immediately recognized. Luckily, his mother intervenes on his behalf and he gets permission to play with his old friend, her seamstress' daughter Clara Gills. Together, they set out to solve the mystery of his mother's missing emerald, visiting different islands around Wrenly with various magical creatures from fairies to trolls.

The black and white illustrations include a classic fantasy map, inset pictures of different magical creatures, and various scenes of Lucas and Clara's adventures. At just over 100 pages this seems like the perfect beginning chapter book, especially since fantasies for younger readers are difficult to find.

I...really didn't like it. But it's hard to tell how much of that is my feelings as an adult. It's so hard to find fantasies for younger kids, but when I do it's so disappointing to see them stick to the same old tired stereotypes of class prejudice. When the king is thinking about the problem of Lucas' loneliness it says "he couldn't allow him to be friends with the peasants. Even they would think it was strange." That just....seriously? WHY do we need to perpetuate the emulation of feudal societies to kids? The whole book reads like an episode of Disney's Princess Sofia. Why does he have to be a prince at all? And everyone is white of course. If the kingdom is enlightened enough to allow girls in school, girls wearing pants, and all the different fairy tale creatures to coexist (suitably under the control of humans of course) why can't they have diverse characters? Why do they need to have such an outdated ruling structure? And, of course, although his mother puts in a good word for him, his father has all the power. The whole plot of him not being allowed to play with the kids was completely unnecessary, although I suppose it could be part of the story in later volumes.

Verdict: I can't decide. My objections to this are from an adult viewpoint and it's not like I don't have plenty of Disney and Disney-esque materials in the library already. The writing is no worse than the average beginning chapter series (but no better either). There aren't a lot of reviews, but that's not unusual for a beginning chapter series and they're generally positive. I've heard from friends and parents online that they like the series and I am sure my patrons would love it. Is it fair to penalize a book for what it could have been and what it isn't, rather than what it is? For the moment, it stays in my backlist as I think about it.

ISBN: 9781442496910; Published 2014 by Little Simon; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Dec 28, 2014 |
A simple story about friendship with a little adventure thrown in. A young prince loses his only friend when his father, the king, forbids him playing with peasants. The prince, however, convinces his father to change his mind. The two friends then set out to find the queen's lost jewel. For those new to chapter books, this is a little gem.
This book was an ARC so I don't know if the nmber of pages will stay the same. I do hope it stays over 100 to appease those with the 100 page mnimum rule (a silly rule in MHO). It appears there will be more books about the Kingdom of Wrenly. ( )
  geraldinefm | Oct 10, 2013 |
Prince Lucas raced up the spiral stone staircase in the castle to his bedroom.

The book is part of a series. It is about a young prince who goes on an adventure with a friend to find his mother's, the queen, lost emerald stone. They search all over the kingdom and meet some very interesting people along the way.

Eight-year-old Lucas, Prince of Wrenly, is eager to explore and Clara, daughter of the queen's seamstress, knows the kingdom well, so they team up to find a lost jewel and visit all of the land's main attractions as they search.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,711,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible