Death of an Expert Witness by P. D. James

Death of an Expert Witness (original 1977; edition 1977)

by P. D. James

Member:Snowstorm14
Title:Death of an Expert Witness
Authors:P. D. James
Info:Scribner (1977), Hardcover, 322 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:detective

Death of an Expert Witness by P. D. James (1977)

English (25)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (31)
During the investigation of a local murder, we are introduced to the people who work at Hoggart's Laboratory, a forensic laboratory written and set in the 1970s. Dr. Lorrimer, who will, of course, be murdered (it's in the book description) is not at all likable, and we have been introduced to a slew of people with possible motive, and not one of them particularly endearing. Adam Dalgleish enters the picture in the second part of the book; there is nothing endearing about him, either, although his associate, Massingham (with a name awfully close to one the Hoggart's employees) comes close to being endearing.

During the rest of the novel we continue to read the stories of the various suspects as well as the investigation. I really had high hopes that this would be a four star read, but it's difficult to do that when I am not actually rooting for any of the characters even though I did want the mystery to be solved. No doubt this is likely to be better in a film. ( )
  Karin7 | May 25, 2016 |
Re-reading some of my favorite books by P.D. James...I last read this almost 30 years ago so the precise details had escaped my memory and I had no clue who the murderer was until the big reveal. This book focuses on a forensic lab - the victim is not likable, which I find useful in murder mysteries. (It's harder to take the death of totally innocent, likable people.) Dalgliesh and his sidekick Massingham, the son of a Lord, work hard to unravel the mystery of the murderer. Dagliesh himself is an interesting man - I've always liked him very much but reading this book made me wonder why exactly. He's very complex and doesn't give much of himself away. But he's smart and compassionate so I guess that's what appeals to me. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Who dunnit for the better educated. Both this and Black Tower suffer structural problems. The murder happens in a discrete group, and all the suspects have to be introduced. It all ends up a little tedious and contrived.
Read Samoa Dec 2003 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 28, 2015 |
Read during Fall 2006

Best to listen to an audio book all in one week... Very enjoyable, though I fail to understand why the reader thinks Dalgliesh has a slight Scottish brogue. I read this so long ago that I was fairly unsure of who did what so it was like getting a brand new mystery and I have plenty of VI left for future mysteries.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
Sixth Adam Dalgliesh novel. My month of reading the next novel in the series thing continues. I know I read this one many, many years ago but I didn't remember anything. Nothing. So the culprit was a surprise, the plot is quite muddy and with a sluggish pace. Dalgliesh is mostly a tool of the plot here nothing more. Which is rare. Usually we get some insight in his head, some glimpse of his inner emotion, here almost none at all. Overall it's a solid, yet strangely constructed plot with some innovative twists for the time. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Mar 29, 2013 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mustieles Rebullida, Jorge LuisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mustieles, JordiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mustieles, Jorge LuisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The call had come at 6.12 precisely.

AR 7.3, 17 pts

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219627, Paperback)

An evil-tempered forensic scientist is put to death, putting many of his colleagues out of misery. Commander Adam Dalgliesh must exhume the secrets of Dr. Lorrimer's laboratory in order to lay bare the murderous motive hidden in one human heart.

Death of an Expert Witness led Newsweek to crown P. D. James "the new queen of crime."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:18 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,792,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible