How to Fall in Love by Cecelia Ahern

How to Fall in Love (2013)

by Cecelia Ahern

English (4)  German (1)  All (5)
2015 Reading Challenge: "Read a book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit." ( )
  Cecilia_Ridley | Jan 10, 2016 |
The story's sweet, really. I liked the idea of it and I enjoyed it all the way even though it came down to a cliché ending(it's chick lit, duh). However, my main problem is with the author's writing style. It's partly something to do with the odd sentence structures, like something I would write when I want to squeeze a lot of stuff into a single sentence and try to sound smart at the same time. It just transforms into very amateurish, awkward sounding lines. Also, this book is written in the first person's pov but it reads like it's mashed up with a third person's pov, which is very weird. It's like the narrator knows everything that is going on. Creepy. Generally speaking, I think Cecelia's words lack the impact that written words are supposed to have on readers. I'm not usually this strict on writing styles since they differ from one author to the other, but Cecelia's odd way of writing just distracts me from the story. It'd be better if it flows smoother. ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
What a lovely read. Very funny, sad and rewarding. ( )
  gogglemiss | May 21, 2015 |
I do enjoy Cecelia Ahern's books - light, entertaining, interesting plots, easy reads - and this was no exception. Despite the subject matter (a woman stops a man from committing suicide and he gives her two weeks to help him or he will try again) this book is actually quite funny in places. The ending is obvious from the start but that's OK - it's the ending I wanted. A quick, fun read. ( )
1 vote PennyAnne | Jul 9, 2014 |
For David, who taught me how to fall in love
They say lightning never strikes twice.

Can you teach someone how to fall in love? The night psychotherapist Christine Rose witnesses a man commit suicide, her life changes drastically. Wracked with guilt, she leaves her husband and attempts to begin a new life. When Christine is called into action again to stop thirty-four-year-old Adam jumping off a bridge, she will do anything to stop him. She makes a rash deal - she must convince Adam that life is worth living by his thirty-fifth birthday, otherwise he will take his own life. Christine only has a few weeks to try and help Adam see the everyday beauty in life, find happiness again, and - most of all - win back the love of his life. But is it truly possible for one person to dedicate herself so entirely to another when the stakes are quite so high? And in the process of helping Adam listen to his heart, is Christine able to numb her own?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,366,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible