The Weirdness: A Novel by Jeremy P. Bushnell

The Weirdness: A Novel

by Jeremy P. Bushnell

I love the first part of the book. The ending is weak. It's a nice first novel ( )
  Hassanchop | Jul 4, 2016 |
Unique and unexpected. This tempted by the Devil read is way out of the norm and very entertaining. I went into this book blind so I and no expectations. When I started reading I was intrigued by where this character who was at his bottom was going to go. He did not take the expected path and his reactions did not follow the well worn way of many others books. He is not a very likable guy nor is he unlikable, he's almost a shadow with all his doubts and missteps. I enjoyed it, it made me think about new things. I had my 19 year old daughter read it, a harsh critic, she thought is was weird at first but then became glued to it as well and ended it stating "that was a good book." Hard to define, hard to explain, so give it a try and cast your own vote. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Random Thoughts

Wonderfully quirky, weird and well just plain fabulously odd
Plenty of witty dialogue
One of the most unique stories I have ever read
Fabulous opening chapter, it hooks you in right away and you know its going to be an odd little story that you don't want to put down
Won't appeal to everyone, but if you like something a little unusual, this one is for you
PowerPoint presentation - trust me you will understand why that is funny after reading
Thinking if you are very religious, you might have some serious issues with this - especially as Aquinas is referred to as "that fat fuck"
You will never figure out what is going to happen next - totally surprising
You will have many WTF moments, but in a good way
Some wise commentary on life

Memorable Quotes

"She loved him, he believes, because he wasn't normal, he wasn't a boy who was rambunctious and active and courageous, but rather a boy who was dreamy and inquisitive and delicate."

"This is one of those things where I end up saying Oh, tell me more and the next thing I know I'm signing away my soul." He doesn't actually believe in the soul, but he does know that if the Devil shows up and asks you to sign yours away, you should probably say no."

"And then he realizes that that's okay. Denver is right: when people love you, they show up. Sometimes that means that they get to bail you out of trouble. It's not bad when that happens; it just means that you return the obligation when you get the chance. You be the guy who is present instead of a fuck-up."

4 Dewey's

I borrowed this from Lesley at work (also read by Chelsea and Alicia who also recommended) ( )
  mountie9 | Jun 9, 2014 |

"At thirty, Billy Ridgeway still hasn't gotten around to becoming a writer; he thinks too much to get anything done, really, except making sandwiches at a Greek deli with his buddy Anil. But the Devil shows up with fancy coffee one morning, promising to make Billy's dream of being published come true: as long as Billy steals The Neko of Infinite Equilibrium, a cat-shaped statue with magical powers, from the most powerful warlock in the Eastern United States. The Devil's bidding sends Billy on a wild chase through New York City, through which Billy discovers his own strength, harnessing his powers as a hell-wolf and finally fighting the warlock face-to-face. God even makes a guest appearance, and He's not who you thought He was."--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible