The Skeleton Key Guild by MJ Fletcher

The Skeleton Key Guild

by MJ Fletcher

My original two complaints, editing and swearing, are still here. I would have to add for people that read my reviews that there is a non-descript sex scene. I was not all that bothered by it since it is a secular read and it was not explicit at all but I mention it since it is outside my scope of normal genres of books I read and review.

I like that Jess stands alone as a character, Slade is redeemed from his poor choices, Nightshade is back, Val has completely grown on me and Edgar is still the core, most enjoyable member of the ragtag crew. I appreciate that while the characters may have started out as archtypes, they didn’t stay that. They were flawed and at times unpredictable like people are in real life.

I maintain that Chloe’s development was more described than shown. Ex: “I’m broken” on repeat without really showing how. In fact, I would assert that she is not broken but quite resilient and walled off to prevent brokenness. I would also propose that she first experiences true brokenness in the third and fourth books and heals from it in the fourth and fifth.

This was a well wrapped up series though bittersweet. I loved the world that I was sucked into for about a week while I was reading the series and didn’t want to come back to the real world. Few books make me feel that way.

For me this whole series is about relationships in light of difficult circumstances. You can take away this particular world of intergalactic travel, steampunk gadgets, secret societies, and superpowers and the relational plot still stands for me. But those particular embellishments are what makes the The Doorknob Society series stand out.

I hate that this series came to an end. I would buy it in paper back if it were edited well.

You can read more of my reviews at www.adventureofexistence.com/reads ( )
  BrittneyRossie | Jun 14, 2015 |
Wow. It's over. The 5 book series is finished. I'm happy and sad at the same time. I feel like I'm saying 'goodbye' to old friends. I've watched Chloe grow from a high school student to a great leader. I've watched her fall in love and go through all sorts of trials you can only imagine.

The writing is superb. The character growth and development is fantastic. The storyline is impressive.
Everything now makes sense. We see twists and turns I couldn't have imagined. MJ Fletcher has an incredible imagination.

I loved the entire series. I loved the way the books seamlessly connected from book one to book five. I love all the characters (especially Edgar).

Highly recommend this as fun summer reading, get all five and bring them to the beach with you. You'll laugh, you'll cry. You won't be sorry you read this amazing saga. ( )
  ljldml | May 19, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible