The Fifth Crusade (The Crusades) by Mark…

The Fifth Crusade (The Crusades)

by Mark Butler

ebook (2) history (1) Kindle (1) read (2)

I found the story to be interesting albeit a bit superficial. I never really thought much about how many crusades there actually were. This book tells the reader about the fifth crusade. Even though this book was not meant to be an in-depth historical depiction, I think is was a bit too minimalist. If you are after a short book that is historically fairly accurate, this would be a good option. ( )
  honoliipali | Feb 20, 2014 |
I liked the historical aspect of this plot. I tended to like the character of Reddlin more than Amir. Its easy to like him. I do look forward to seeing what more these two get into. ( )
  bella55075 | Dec 26, 2013 |
Amir is an apprentice blacksmith raised in Iceland who wants to see the world. As he travels to the mainland of Europe, he meets a hunter named Reddlin. As they travel together through France and eventually Italy, and beyond, they become friends. Eventually they join the ranks of the fifth crusade. This novel follows their adventures.

I liked this book, although not as much as I had hoped. I got no sense of time while reading it and was surprised at the end as to how much time had passed in the novel. Amir and Reddlin were well developed characters, but some of the others were not quite as well developed. While the story itself flowed nicely, the lack of a sense of time detracted from my enjoyment of the novel. But, since I am a fairly logically inclined person, this aspect may not bother others as it did me. ( )
  GayleBitker | Dec 10, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book, which takes an Icelandic blacksmith from his home through Europe and the Middle East. His reluctant involvement in the Fifth Crusade gives him the opportunity to see the world that he was seeking, and provides the reader with an interesting bit of historical background. The book is quick reading and is recommended for those looking for a light historical novel about the time. ( )
  Gaga112 | Nov 26, 2013 |
This book was overall a quick and decent read. I enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to my friends who read this type of genre. ( )
  SilkOcean | Nov 19, 2013 |

Mark Butler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible