Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland…

Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland Legends, Book 1.5)

by Kat Bastion

731,138,814 (4.25)None

This is a short novella that follows on the heels of a full story ‘Forged in Dreams and Magick’ [which I read but haven’t had the time to review it yet; will do it soon, but my one word to describe it would be ‘excellent’] and it can stand alone, but if you’re a thirteenth century highland lover, both books are a must. We met Robert, hero of this novella, in the first book and I really hoped he’d get his story.

Robert Brodie is very handsome and formidable warrior which causes many maidens to throw themselves at him, and they’ve become obnoxious and tiresome to him.

Susanna’s father was about to betrothed her to a man she despises, so she decides to run as far s her legs can carry her.

And that’s when she runs into Brodie and his men. They were in the forest on a mission to find a fir-tree and bring it to Lady Isobel [she’s the time traveling heroin from the earlier book] for gracing the Hall at the keep.

Brodie is determined to save this damsel from her father and from her own fears, so he decides to take her back to the castle with him.

This short novella is fast paced, well plotted, filled with wonderful descriptions of 13th century Yule tide celebration and great characters all around.

Brodie and Susanna are very likeable from the start and if you like your Medieval romance sprinkled with a bit of magic, you must give this one a go.

I’m looking forward to book two in ‘Highland Legends’ series which is ‘Born of Mist and Legend’ coming in 2014.

Melanie for b2b
Book provided by the publisher through NetGalley
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Bound by Wish and Mistletoe by Kat Bastion
(A Highland Legends novella)
Source: Author
Rating: 5/5

Most of the time I love having a TBR list; I always know once I finish a book there is a pile of titles I am excited about just waiting for me to dive into. And then I come across a read like Bound by Wish and Mistletoe and am thoroughly pissed that I have a TBR list because it means I can’t immediately read the other book(s) related to the book I just finished  (BTW: the TBR list certainly didn’t stop me from buying the other book in this series!)

And so, this is why I loved Kat Bastion’s book . . .

The characters: each and every character in Bound is a fully-developed and thoroughly interesting individual. Susanna is a stubborn woman, bound and determined to never allow a man to control her choices and/or her life again. After a lifetime of her father’s cruelty and abuse, Susanna cannot imagine every willingly committing herself to a man no matter how kind, tender, generous, fierce and, sexy he may be. Robert Brodie is a beautiful and fierce warrior who has grown bored and tired of the flighty and fickle women who do nothing but throw themselves at him in an attempt to gain his interest. Brodie has sowed his wild oats many times over and is now interested in no women at all or the One and nothing and no one else will satisfy him.

The plot: In a time when women had little to no independence, Susanna has fled her father’s home and a betrothal she would rather die than honor. Escape is her only option and when she runs, Susanna does not look back. She knows Hell is chasing her and when she runs into Brodie and his men, she feels marginally less threatened though still not safe. Brodie and his men know the reputation of Susanna’s father and feel there is nothing to do but take the young woman to the castle and protect her as only they can. To Brodie’s great surprise, Susanna proves to be a fierce and determined woman who may just be capable of claiming the warrior for her own. This is, of course, if Brodie can convince her to overcome her fears and bind herself to a man for the remainder of her days.

The Bottom Line: I finished the last page of this fast-paced novella and immediately went to Amazon and bought the full-length novel (and first book in the series), Forged in Dreams and Magick. I pretty much fell head over heels in love with Brodie from the second he was introduced and though Susanna frustrated me a few times, I generally adore her as well. The plot is quick, it’s a bit daring, has just the right amount of action and naughty bits, a touch of magic, a for realsies angel (apparently!) and, includes just enough teaser-type information about other characters to have me wanting to dive into the first book without thought or care to what else I should be reading! Bound is well-written, has excellent dialogue and will certainly appeal to readers with an interest in light paranormal, magic, period pieces and HEAs. Read on!! ( )
  arthistorychick | Nov 23, 2013 |
Susanna MacEalan and Robert Brodie have a slight problem. Both are attracted to each other from the moment Susanna almost runs Robert and his horse down. Susanna has sworn off men forever, after escaping from her abusive father, the man he sold her to, and the rest of her abusive clan. Robert, on the other hand, commander of his clan’s guard, has sworn off women who plot to entrap him forever. As each falls deeper and deeper in love with the other, they dance around the concept of being together, until finally they give in. Susanna is a bit confused about the magick surrounding Brodie Castle, and Robert must let her in on what exactly the clan is and how they operate. This story follows the love of these two headstrong characters as they traverse the throws of love at first sight to the solid grounding love that will keep them together forever. I was disappointed the book did not incorporate Christmas and its festivities more into this story, which I fully expected because of its title and cover. All there the book contained was a brief passage and a short mention a couple of times. In addition, if you have not read any of the previous books in this series, I highly recommend you do that before reading this one. I had not read any, and after finishing the book, I do not really understand a lot of the magick that occurred or was alluded to throughout the book. In fact, I often felt like I had missed something and went back through pages already read to try to figure out what that was (I never did). The love story of Susanna and Robert is actually quite well done and very interesting to read, but I think it could have been even more so had I read earlier books or had the author filled some background. I received this from NetGalley to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Oct 12, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,080,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible