Assignment in Brittany by Helen MacInnes

Assignment in Brittany (1942)

by Helen MacInnes

As soon as I finished this book I read the author's Above Suspicion. I would never have done that if I had not liked thisbook ( )
  Schmerguls | Sep 17, 2013 |
I enjoy the relatively slow pace of the Helen MacInnes novels; some may say they are old-fashioned, but for me, this is part of the pleasure, as it makes her characters more well-rounded.

The French war time settings were well realised and the basic subject matter (allied agent parachuted into northern France in the first year of WWII) is fertile ground for the development of an exciting story. But my main quibble, which prevented me from really enjoying it is that we are expected to believe that a complete British stranger could impersonate a well-respected local farmer, and get away with it. He even lives with the man's family, including his mother, and arouses no suspicion. This got in the way, and I couldn't ever believe in the story.

© Koplowitz 2011
  Ant.Harrison | Apr 28, 2013 |
A very down to earth but yet a very taut thriller. No flashy action scenes, just good ol' shrewdness behind enemy occupied territory.

And I liked the end as well.

In my opinion, Helen MacInnes deserves to be among the suspense and thriller greats like Christie, MacLean and Innes. ( )
  Veeralpadhiar | Mar 31, 2013 |
"Hearne looked at the man in the hospital bed, and saw... himself. Even Matthews, his commanding officer, had been fooled by the Frenchman's resemblance to Hearne. But once Matthews knew the truth, he decided to make use of it. So Martin Hearne would become Bertrand Courlay, right down to the birthmark and the missing tooth. Then he would go "home" to Brittany - and try to stay alive long enough to win the desperate game he was about to play."
-Fawcett Crest jacket notes, 1970.
An interesting plot, decent suspense, a good spy story. ( )
  tripleblessings | Feb 2, 2007 |
For G.

Martin Hearne, British Intelligence agent, finds himself in Nazi-occupied Brittany, posing as Bertrand Corlay, with the Frenchman's life reduced to headings in his memory. This is a story of treachery and intrigue.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:17 -0400)

The gripping tale of an undercover operative deep in Nazi-occupied France.

5 avail.3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,322,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible