The Homecoming (Wonderfully Illustrated…

The Homecoming (Wonderfully Illustrated Short Pieces) (2006)

by Ray Bradbury

Gorgeous language. Lovely story. And Dave McKean's illustrations were dead perfect. Wonderful introduction to Bradbury for the boy (and, to be honest, for me). ( )
  beckydj | Apr 19, 2013 |
A Ray Bradbury children's story about a normal, living breathing young boy who lives in an Addams Family house with his otherworldly parents and sister, awaiting the arrival of their extended ghoulish and monsterish kin from across the globe for All Hallows' Eve. Timothy is torn between wanting to be a warm living human, with a finite number of years to live, and wanting to be like the rest of his family, sleeping in polished boxes beneath the ground by day, flying and wisping through walls by night. A charming and ghoulish story with a nice lesson about differences between loved ones, and some very apt shadowy illustrations by Dave McKean. This is the first Bradbury I've read since his recent death. This is a nice little Bradbury story, not one of his best, but good enough, with a nice dark whimsy and charm. Ray Bradbury, along with Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke, was one of my Big Three in Science Fiction. I've never read a Ray Bradbury story and thought I could have better spent that time. ( )
  burnit99 | Sep 6, 2012 |
Summary: Timothy, the only normal member of a ghoulish family, tries to fit in at their annual reunion.
What’s interesting and unique about this book is that it’s essentially a picture book for teens and adults. It’s too wordy and a little dark for younger children, though, like most Ray Bradbury books, has a style that appeals to the child in adults. The text and illustrations merge together so that the words become part of the picture and vice-versa—though the angularity of lines and melancholy tones make them sometimes harsh to view, it is easy to overlook this in favor of this merging. There isn’t really a happy ending, with Timothy, left to deal with his unique mortality, wonders whether he will be alive to see the next family reunion. Adults and older children might enjoy the unusual question, suggested by Uncle Eisner, as to whether it is better to be immortal or to “live least, [with] worth more per ounce.” Though too dark for children and probably better suited to its original short story format, but this story could be useful for teens as its picture book lay-out makes reading less intimidating. ( )
  MartyAllen | Sep 22, 2011 |
I don’t like scary books (at all!) but I do love Ray Bradbury. It was that love for Bradbury that carried me through reading this very scary book. The plot is thin: a young boy’s family gather together on All Hallows Eve and the family, all except the boy, are ghouls. The boy is deeply saddened by being different, completely human, in a family where everyone has special, albeit creepy, abilities. The story is rich in sensory details, Bradbury-ish in every way. The appeal of the story for me was greatly increased by the format of the book, a small volume with just the right pictures and script. I could barely make it through this scary story, but even I, a big ole scaredy cat, I could not miss the beautiful writing and the rich characters. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
Leave it to Ray Bradbury to take the story of an "abnormal" normal boy whose family consists entirely of creatures of the night and turn it into a mesmerizing yet creepy story of identity and finding one's place in family. Add to that the illustrations by Dave McKean and you have a mixture for a delightfully wicked little book. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jul 17, 2007 |

Illustrated classics for adults! Here, Collins Design's WISP series pairs two legendary creators–writer Ray Bradbury and artist Dave McKean–to create an irresistible package perfect for Halloween and all year 'round.

The WISP series (Wonderfully Illustrated Short Pieces) represents an ingenious marriage of two creative forces: the artistry of today's foremost illustrators and the literary legacy of beloved authors of popular short works for adults. The resulting offspring of this union are captivating, full–color illustrated editions of timeless classics that readers will want to savor and collect.

For the first time ever, the series makes selected popular short works previously offered only in collections available in a unique, stand–alone format. Also for the first time, WISPs harness the talents of top illustrators for the benefit and delight of a new, older audience.

This WISP presents Ray Bradbury's The Homecoming, a little boy's tale of his family reunion of vampires. This story was initially published in 1946 and later refashioned into further stories. Bringing this story to life are the wondrous illustrations of Dave McKean, whose delightful artwork perfectly matches the tale.

These one–of–a–kind, attractively priced and invitingly formatted illustrated editions will make a great impulse buy and appeal to a broad audience.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:11 -0400)

A tale of an ordinary boy in an enormous family of ghouls attending a special reunion on All Hallows' Eve.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,842,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible