She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick

She Is Not Invisible (2013)

by Marcus Sedgwick

2821962,184 (3.67)13
A London teenager who is blind and her younger brother travel to New York to find their missing father, using clues from his notebook.
    Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson (hnau)
    hnau: Alcatraz and Laureth's brother Benjamin both have a talent to break certain things.

This was the first book I read as part of 7 in 7 Readathon, where you read 7 things in 7 days. This tells the story of sixteen year old Laureth, who takes her seven year old brother to New York City in search of her father, who seems to have just vanished. What makes this story unique is its ability to make a less exciting story seem like one while playing to Laureth's strengths and not focusing solely on her blindness.

Did I forget to mention that part? Yeah. She's blind AF. But it works, in fact the story is better for it. Very interesting read. ( )
  BingeReader87 | Nov 22, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. I thought the parallels between a blind protagonist and the main idea of the story being about patterns (that appear in our everyday life) was so captivating. An idea you would more expect a sighted main lead to carry a story such as this, but I very much appreciated that this twist gave an unexpected and also surprisingly trustworthy lead. ( )
  ItsBookishMe | Aug 10, 2017 |
“One final time I told myself I wasn’t abducting my little brother.”
Some books have first sentences that are so intriguing and raise so many questions, a reader can’t help but feel compelled to discover the answers. She Is Not Invisible, Marcus Sedgwick’s newest novel, sweeps up the reader right from the start as Laureth and her brother Benjamin embark on a trip both ordinary and perilous. They are traveling from London to New York, a flight they’ve done in the past with their parents. This time, it’s just the two of them and, because Benjamin is only seven and in her care while their mother is away, Laureth really can’t leave him behind. Besides, she needs his assistance if they are to discover the whereabouts of their dad. Despite her resolve and resourcefulness, her calm demeanor and intelligence, Laureth relies on the subtle help Benjamin provides because she’s trying to hide a disability that could deter them on their search. She is blind.
What a departure from Marcus Sedgwick’s previous work, especially his most recent, this year’s Printz award winner, Midwinterblood. She Is Not Invisible has a realistic voice and a contemporary setting. There is no drama behind Laureth’s blindness and because she’s the narrator, readers get a clear understanding that it’s just a small part of who she is as a person. The intimacy of Laureth’s true thoughts and fears and her ability to navigate through the world make her especially memorable. Also touching is her relationship with her brother Benjamin, a bright but lonely boy whose toy raven is his closest confidante. For its wholly unique and captivating characters, its matter-of-fact exploration in the life of a blind teen, and its loving treatment of a fractured but fixable family, She Is Not Invisible is a recommended read for fans who like character-driven books, realistic fiction and mysteries. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book because of the informational notes included, from Einstein, Jung, and more. I also loved the conspiracy theory and coincidences because I love that type of thinking. The ending wasn’t completely satisfying, but I’ve found that I feel that way about a lot of Sedgwick’s books. The story, as it happened, was interesting enough to make me think the book was great and to overpower the ending. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 10, 2015 |
Laureth Peak's father has taught her to look for recurring events, patterns, and numbers--a skill at which she's remarkably talented. Her secret: She is blind. But when her father goes missing, Laureth and her 7-year-old brother Benjamin are thrust into a mystery that takes them to New York City where surviving will take all her skill at spotting the amazing, shocking, and sometimes dangerous connections in a world full of darkness. She Is Not Invisible is an intricate puzzle of a novel that sheds a light on the delicate ties that bind people to each other.
  lkmuir | Nov 30, 2015 |
If a man look sharply and attentively, he shall see Fortune: for though she be blind, yet she is not invisible.
—Francis Bacon, “Of Fortune,” 1612
For Alice, just for being cool

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,921,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible