Beauty and the Beast by H. Chuku Lee

Beauty and the Beast

by H. Chuku Lee

The only version of Beauty and the Beast that I've ever seen or heard of was the Disney movie version. Based on that, this version of Beauty and the Beast was an interesting rendition. In this version, Beauty's family is much bigger although we still don't see a mother. There is no talking household appliances and decorations, but invisible things instead. When the Beast turns back into a human, that scene isn't as extravagant as the movie. The author decided to keep the symbol of the rose in this story, although it isn't portrayed in the same way. The story is told from Beauty's point of view. We don't get very much dialogue from the Beast, but we do understand that, by the end, he had to get someone to fall in love with him for him to turn back, Thats why he was so persistent to get Beauty to marry him. This book would be good to introduce a class with majority minority students so that the lack of representation in books can be addressed. I really enjoyed this version. ( )
  CharleneMartin | Mar 16, 2017 |
I can say that I do not remember any other version of Beauty and the Beast, but this version was really refreshing to read. I liked that the father would risk himself for his daughter and that the daughter would do the same for her father. That is truly a father/daughter bond to me. Both Beauty and the Beast both caught feelings but only the Beast would try and initiate anything as a marriage to the Beauty. Even though she turned him down, he never gave up. When Beauty had to leave for awhile because of her father’s sickness the Beast trusted her to come back. But she didn’t right away. When she did, she finally saw how much she had hurt him, she let him know how much she loved him not knowing that he true love was going to break a curse.
With the story, I’ve learned that true love prevails all, and that a father would do anything for his daughter and vice versa. ( )
  lasmith7 | Sep 22, 2016 |
In this interesting retelling of the classic story of the Beauty and the Beast, the tale is set in West Africa. The importance of family is expressed throughout as Beauty gives up her own freedom in order to spare her father’s. Staying true to the original, and unlike Disney’s version, beauty has three older sisters. Beauty is the simplest and most caring of them all. Through beautifully cultural detailed illustrations, it allows readers to imagine what the story would have been like set in a different place. Readers see the intricate costumes worn by Beauty and her sisters complete with headpieces and statement jewelry. In the Beast’s garden, African inspired decor and architecture is shown with masks, animal tapestries, and wooden carvings. A fresh new look at the tale that leaves all living happily. I love that Lee decided to change the ethnicity of Beauty in this retelling. The illustrations help express the culture and tell the story. The theme of not judging someone by their appearances and seeing beauty in the eyes of the beholder are clearly conveyed throughout the story. ( )
  afrught | Feb 16, 2016 |
Fantastic illustrations. The story's the same, but I love the West African setting.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Retelling of the fairy tale in a West Africa setting. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |

In this remarkable retelling of Beauty and the Beast, award-winning illustrator Pat Cummings creates an enchanted fairy-tale world flavored by the art, architecture, and culture of West Africa, while writer H. Chuku Lee stays true to the story of this beloved classic. With breathtaking palatial settings inspired by the Dogon tribe of Mali and dazzling costumes reminiscent of the clothing seen on Cummings's own trip to Africa, Beauty and the Beast becomes so much more than just a story—it's a visual and cultural experience.

When her father is taken prisoner by a fearsome Beast, Beauty begs the captor to take her instead. The Beast agrees, locking her away in his palace. Though he will give her whatever her heart desires—jewels, gowns, her own living quarters—she is forbidden to leave. Over time, however, Beauty sees the gentler side of the Beast, and an unexpected bond forms. But will it be strong enough to break a curse that threatens the Beast's life?

Supports the Common Core State Standards

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:58 -0400)

Through her great capacity to love, a kind and beautiful maid releases a handsome prince from the spell which has made him an ugly beast.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,902,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible