In Times Like These by Nathan Van Coops

In Times Like These

by Nathan Van Coops

In Times Like These

Great storyline, but got bogged down with too many “Anchor points”
I found the five characters at the beginning of the book confusing to handle. Too many characters at once with not enough detail or development. It took me until page 130 to work out which one was telling the story. A couple of “Ben’s” thrown in the conversation towards the story teller would have solved this.
The author worked extremely hard with the details of time travel. While I thought it was plausible, it was so overworked that it slowed and dragged whole sections down to the point it was painful to read.
At one point, I thought can I really bear to read about yet another “anchor point” or “degravitizer” or “chronometer.”
Dr Who’s “Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey” explains time travel just as well. The characters and the story are more important, rather than how time travel works.
Overall the book was quite good. The author wrote an intriguing story and put a lot of work into writing the book. What marked it down for me was the enormous effort required by the reader, not to skim it, but to read it properly. It was a hard task for me to finish the book. I think the author is capable of better work than this debut book. ( )
  woodylane | Jun 14, 2017 |
IN TIMES LIKE THESE by Nathan Van Coops, 4****s
This is a fun time travel book, but is technical enough to make you believe it could be real! The characters are well thought out and described, and there is a little mystery and drama thrown in, along with the big question "Will this group of friends make it back to their original time? And will anything be changed because of the things that they did in the past times?!" I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys time travel or is just up for a fun and exciting read! ( )
  TerriS | Sep 30, 2016 |
I like time travel novels, and this one began with a group of friends all being moved in time together and having each other to lean on in this confusing situation. Luckily, the grandfather of one of them is alive and younger in the 1980s, so they go over to his house. Even more luckily, he's accepting of their situation and supportive. They are able to track down the person who invented their time-traveling method, and he is actually "in" and willing to teach them how to do the time travel safely. The rules for time travel caught my interest, because they were aspects most authors prefer to ignore since they're so hard to include, like how the earth rotates so in a different time in that exact spot you could turn up halfway in a boulder, or worse. They are starting to be taught how to use "anchors" to keep them where they need to end up, when things go crazy, the scientist is gone, and they have to use their imperfect knowledge to get back home. I tried to keep all the rules in my head about how and why they were doing what they were doing, going from here to there in different times, but after a while I gave up trying to keep track of it all. Then I got even more confused when they had to start taking their own alternate selves in different time streams into account and all the philosophy that went into that. Are they back in their original time? Or are they in that original date but something's changed and things are different? Can they find the right time stream to go back and get it right? I got tired of trying to keep track of it all and quit reading about 80% of the way through the story. ( )
  CecilyMS | May 29, 2016 |
Stayed up late reading....

Very enjoyable. There's a couple rough patches in the prose, but such a fun time travel adventure. I can't wait to dive into the sequel!
  benjclark | Jan 15, 2016 |
the first part of the book was torture! it was so slow I considered throwing in the towel and heading for another book. Thankfully I stuck with it out of sheer curiosity due to the fabulous ratings it received. The science behind some of the explanations is a little confusing at times but overall the book is really really interesting. The ending is a satisfying one for a bunch of reasons including wrapping things up nicely and most importantly...no cliffhanger!!! If you're in the beginning and having trouble pressing on, or can't see any redeeming qualities, I suggest you trudge through it it's worth it in the end! ( )
  BethYacoub | Dec 31, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible