Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Devices and Desires (First Edition, Signed,…

Devices and Desires (First Edition, Signed, Leather Bound) (original 1989; edition 1990)

by P.D. James

Member:woodswoman
Title:Devices and Desires (First Edition, Signed, Leather Bound)
Authors:P.D. James
Info:
Tags:Signed First Edition, fiction

Devices and Desires by P. D. James (1989)

English (26)  French (1)  All languages (27)
A good mystery with a satisfying conclusion. PD James creates wonderful characters with a terrific sense of place. A dark and broody place, but great writing. ( )
  njcur | Jun 15, 2019 |
I read a lot of reviews saying this was the best book of James' ever. After reading it, I am not sure I would say that. It is atmospheric and told with the same depth and skill but I found I liked her other books better.

This is good but definitely not her best. ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
“’The victim's hair was damp, which suggests she died after her swim and not before it’"

In “Devices and Desires” by P. D. James

I’m no detective but that is some incredible deduction Dalgliesh…

I'm only going to be on this earth for a limited amount of time, and in all likelihood I won't manage in that time to get through all the great books that have ever been written. But I should at least try my best to. I only re-read books if it's so long since I read them that I barely remember them at all, (and even then it's rare). My bookshelves are heaving with books, and I buy them quicker than I read them, so I've got to try my hardest to keep up. And I certainly can't help thinking that if one is re-reading the same book every year, one could do with broadening our horizons a bit. Nevertheless, re-reading should be adopted by all serious readers. Last year I went through some of my favourite SF books of all-time, and what a joyous ride it’s been. Unfortunately that particular objective kept me away from reading some new stuff coming out. Moreover, to re-read a good book lifts the soul, but to re-read one twice or more puts authors on the dole….lol.

Now that spring is here and summer is just around the corner (the temperature here right now is 29ºC…), it’s time to decide what to read. Why summer? Because summer is the season when some people read books, you smugly. Flat on your back in the hotel bedroom you'll watch dumbfounded as your wife assembles a great leaning tower of books, and leaves you lying there alone. Your friend Saramago will tell you he's casually re-reading “Anna Karenina” - time to hide folks! The most common use of the expression is simply to show off, that you are so clever that you re-read. No-one talks about reading tin labels. But some people who re-read books are not well read at all, because they've only read Shakespeare (it’s me I’m talking about). Another reason someone might re-read a book is because they haven't understood it from the blurb the first time (this is also me I’m talking about). This is criminal. So think twice before not re-reading this summer. As for me, I'll be re-re-[…]-reading "Devices and Desires" again any time soon.

Bottom-line: Knew about P.D. James' work when I borrowed one of her books in The British Council Lisbon's library way back in the late 80s. I got hooked ever since. ( )
  antao | May 30, 2018 |
This was the first P.D. James book I read, and it made me an instant fan of everything else she wrote. ( )
  MitchHoward | Jun 16, 2017 |
good mystery Adam Dalgliesh goes to London countryside + gets involved in a murder - Nuclear Station, Whistler, etc.

Commander Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard has just published a new book of poems and has taken a brief respite from publicity on the remote Larksoken headland in a converted windmill left to him by his aunt. But he cannot so easily escape murder. A psychotic strangler of young women is at large, and getting nearer to Larksoken with every killing. And when Dalgliesh discovers the murdered body of the Acting Administrative Officer on the beach, he finds himself caught up in the passions and dangerous secrets of the headland community and in one of the most baffling murder cases of his career.
  christinejoseph | Dec 11, 2015 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meunier, DeniseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Whistler's fourth victim was his youngest, Valerie Mitchell, aged fifteen years, eight months and four days, and she died because she missed the 9.40 bus from Easthaven to Cobb's Marsh.

A serial killer of women is on the loose on the Norfolk coast in a community overshadowed by the Larksoken nuclear power station. Commander Dalgliesh, who is staying at his aunt's converted windmill, becomes in-volved in the hunt for the murderer, a search that implicates him in the concerns and dangerous secrets of the headland community.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

Scotland Yard's Adam Dalgliesh leaves London to vacation in Norfolk and becomes enmeshed in the hunt for the perpetrator of a series of murders of young women, which continues even after the murderer's capture.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,516,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible