12.21.12

12.21.12

721,138,814 (3.5)None

That was one hell of a great book! Honestly, guys, if any of you liked Stargate, Lara Croft, The Mummy and stories about gods and godlike creatures, this book is for you.

Immensely entertaining paranormal mystery, intriguing characters, really good world-building, fast pace... What else do you want? I gobbled up 12.21.12 in just a few hours, and felt really satisfied afterwards. There was no cliffhanger. The story was nicely rounded up, and you sort of knew what to expect from book #2. The romantic line wasn't overwhelming despite being the moving force behind the action of the main characters, all the side-characters were interesting as well.

The cast was just WOW.

Dmitri Kronastia, - what a charming villain, who was so much more than you assume in the beginning.

The smile that crossed over Dmitri’s face was one of pure amusement. “Now, doctor, what did you expect? Big burly, sweaty Russian, balding, big vodka gut and thick, sausage fingers? Someone who would shoot you as well as look at you? A hostile, hardened criminal?”
Almost shamefully, Shep confirmed that that was exactly what he had expected.
“Then, yes, I can see why you’re surprised,” Dmitri said with a chuckle. His smile only enhanced his youthful appearance, reminding Shep of the mismatch between his looks and his history. “Truth is, Dr. Smyth, I’m not even Russian.”

Victoria - a mysterious world-famous art thief and Dmitri's arch-enemy.

“Christopher, I understand you’re just doing your job. I’m really sorry about this,” she apologised, though her tone hardly seemed remorseful. “You do seem like a really nice guy.”
He was perplexed, and shivered when he felt Victoria’s fingertips bend around his wrist. “What the... ”
He looked down at the joining of their hands in confusion. It should have been impossible, but the pallor of his skin seemed to be getting more pale by the second. Was it shock? Was she squeezing so hard that she was actually forcing the blood from his hand?
Then the feeling of ice began to flow up his arms, slowly snaking its way towards his chest. Trying to reclaim his hand, he found it useless. She had him pinned, and he could not negotiate his release. Instead, he looked at her with a confused expression.
“Teleportation is a difficult thing, takes lots of energy, and I’m already cruising on fumes,” she said simply. “I’m so sorry that you have to die, but I’m just doing my job.”

Then there is an archaeologist Shep Smyth whose theory that Cleopatra was killed got him into this mess; Alex - an acolyte of Sekhmet cult; Priest... Ancient Egypt, Machu Picchu, London, Cairo... and so much more.

I find it actually quite hard to write a coherent review when there is so much goodness which you don't want to spoil for other readers. The characters felt genuine, the questions got answered and the story itself was pretty unique. I'm very impressed!

Highly recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I listened to this last year and essentially forgot about it until my daughter reminded me. I thought I'd go ahead and write a brief review.
I'll begin by saying that I have high regard for indie authors, being one myself, and give Ms. McRae kudos for that. Additionally, she obviously put a lot of effort into researching history and mythos and she did an awesome job incorporating all of this into her tale.
When I started listening, I was enthralled and impressed. The story moved quickly and the characters were interesting enough. Then it fell flat. I admit that some of my inability to continue to enjoy this tale could very well be me, my personal take on specific issues such as romance, instalove, and the absence of POC especially in geographical places where POC would abound, especially since there appear to be so many high ratings for this tale.
First, I do not appreciate, believe, or find ANY value in instalove, which is fairly the case to my recollection.
Secondly, weaving in sex or near sex scenes for the thrill, I find repulsive.
Third in 2012, when this story takes place, our characters go from one continent to the next on their adventures. They end up in Egypt and eventually meet (if memory recalls) Isis along with other well known Egyptian figures from history and legend. Even here, even here on the continent of Africa, they appear as white. Even our protagonist, whose name I can't immediately recall (Victoria?) was supposed to be from among the mesoamericans of South America. And I know she was magical and ancient and powerful and otherworldly but she appeared as distinctly European. Um.
Fourth, Mary Sue is boring as all hell, and our pretty perfect all powerful protagonist was Mary Sue's momma. Everyone wanted her, was enthralled, no mesmerized by her gorgeousness. Ack.
Fifth, I like twists and turns and tight spots, but this book was a tad overdone with that. Lots of plot armor. Tons of god of the machine.
I couldn't finish listening to the series for all of the reasons listed above, which was pretty annoying because it started off pretty good. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,744,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible