A Ghostly Undertaking by Tonya Kappes

A Ghostly Undertaking

by Tonya Kappes

From Darkness Radio.
  boogirl13 | May 23, 2017 |
Emma runs a funeral home with her perfect sister. And Emma is not so perfect. A plastic Santa fell on her and no she can see dead people. Everyone in town whispers about her and are changing funeral homes. So it's not a good day to be her. I did feel like I would have wanted to see the whole santa thing, maybe a pre novella? But we were told so I am fine with it.

Right the dead people thing then. It's just one dead person. One annoying arch enemy of her gran, and this annoying person tells Emma it was murder! What to do? Pretend she is not there or solve the murder and get rid of her? She goes for the investigating stuff and stumbles upon a few things. I am not gonna say she is a perfect detective, no, she is lucky but does not always get things right. But that is just fun to read about.

I do wonder what her's sisters issue is though, such a stick in the mud.

There is also a blossoming love interest with the town sheriff, as her path does cross with him a few times. I think they can be good for each other. I liked him.

And more drama is to come. She is still "crazy" according to townies, so how will they run their business? More ghosts are coming too. I guess I will just have to read book 2 to find out :)

Fun, a good mystery, and a heroine that I enjoyed reading about. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Emma is not a demure southern belle. She’s a true southern gal after my own heart. Blurts out what pops in her mind. Not afraid to look crazy. Dives in feet first and to heck with the consequences.

Life gets crazy for Emma after a plastic Santa falls off the roof of Artie’s Deli and Meat store and knocks her out. When she comes to she can see ghosts. Everyone thinks she’s either gone around the bend or suffering from ‘funeral trauma.’

Emma soon knows better when Ruthie Sue, co-owner of the Sleepy Hollow Inn, along with Emma’s grandmother Zula Mae, is found dead at the bottom of the stairs. Her ghost comes to Emma, adamant she was pushed and wants her murderer brought to justice.

Ruthie and Zula Fae were arch enemies and that puts Zula in the spotlight as a prime suspect. Emma has to put on her sleuthing cap and get to the bottom of it as another person falls victim.

Emma and her older sister, Charlotte, operate The Eternal Slumber Funeral Home, owned by their grandmother Zula Mae.

I could just see Emma speeding pell mell through town in her hearse, arguing with the ghost of Ruthie Sue, and the people with their mouths hanging up, shaking their heads as they declare Emma has lost her marbles.

The only one that doesn’t chalk her antics up to lunacy is the handsome Sheriff Jack Henry. He sees more than craziness in Emma’s information. She knows thing only Ruthie Sue could know.

I enjoyed the blooming romance between Jack Henry and Emma Lee. They may not be school kids anymore, but their attraction to each other is bumbling, teasing, and sweet.

I felt so at home in this book. I live in the south and can tell you that these characters are genuine, right down to two first names.

The mystery isn’t obvious and the antics of all of the characters had me snickering.

A light hearted cozy mystery that tickled my funny bone, I do declare. ( )
  laura-thomas | Jan 27, 2016 |
A Ghostly Undertaking was a delightful paranormal mystery that kept me guessing. Okay, so I'm not a super sleuth in the mystery genre, but still, I think I suspected everyone in this book at one time or another. It was fun figuring out "who done it".

Set in the peaceful small town of Sleepy Hollow, Kentucky and filled with memorable and quirky characters we follow Emma Lee as she works in the family-owned funeral home and stumbles through a murder investigation. After a bump on the head, Emma Lee figures out that she can see the recently deceased. Her grandma looks like the prime suspect when her archenemy Ruthie is killed and Ruthie's ghost claims it was murder during her funeral. Emma Lee decides to help Ruthie find her murderer, and to try to keep her grandma out of jail, all while trying to seem as normal as possible when she is anything but.

I really enjoyed all of the characters, and the ghost, Ruthie, was one of my favorites. She was funny and colorful. The author did a fantastic job of bringing all of the characters to life for me. Being from a small town myself (and across the river from Kentucky), I'd say the author hit dead on with the small town dynamics. All of the drama and busy-body neighbors were a lot of fun to watch unfold. We also get a little bit of a love interest in the sheriff, Jack Henry Ross, who is also trying to figure out who killed poor Ruthie.

Overall, I really enjoyed A Ghostly Undertaking and I'm really looking forward to reading the next installment in this series, hopefully the next ghost that Emma Lee encounters will be just as fun to read about as Ruthie, and with a name like Chicken Teater it looks as if he will be. If you're looking for a fun, cozy mystery, with a touch of the paranormal I'm sure you'll enjoy this one.

***Review copy provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review***

Review originally posted on Book Liaison ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
Emma Raines grew up in the funeral business and she never had a problem until she got hit on the head and woke up in the hospital with a dead guy next to her bed. But that was just a one time thing, a hallucination, right? Well no. When town gossip Ruthie Payne is brought to the funeral home, her ghost is also there. She tells Emma that she was pushed down the stairs and Emma needs to help her find out who it was.

This was a super fun read. I know, funeral homes are not that much fun. But Emma and the towns people of Sleepy Hollow, Kentucky make this book very entertaining. It was also a fast read that filled my weekend nicely. I am looking forward to reading the next in the series. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Oct 26, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible