The Winter Sea: A Novel by Di Morrissey

The Winter Sea: A Novel

by Di Morrissey

I got a free copy of this book from Netgalley. It is set in Italy and Australia, and has two parallel stories that end up linking up in a surprising way. Joe immigrates from an island in Sicily to Australia soon after WWI, and tries to make a life for himself as a fisherman. In contemporary Australia, Cassie moves from Sidney to a fishing village to escape a crappy marriage and a job she hates. The writing is clear and simple. The characters are somewhat unidimensional -- with a few exceptions, most them are nice and well intentioned and unusually helpful to Joe and Cassie. The story almost reads like a fable or fairy tale. This descriptions of the The Winter Sea makes it sound a bit dull and uninteresting. And it isn't the kind of book I would normally read or like, but I really enjoyed it as I read it. A bit like candy. I couldn't help rooting for Joe and Cassie. I enjoyed the setting. And trying to figure out the link between the two stories kept me reading. Candy is good every now and then... ( )
  Eesil | Nov 25, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about the Aquino family. It begins with Joe leaving Italy and coming out to Australia to make a better life for himself and be able to send money back to the family in Italy. It follows Joe's life which is sad in many places and how he sets up a fishing business.
We meet Cassie Sullivan who has left her husband and moved to the coast. The story interweaves Cassie's life and that of the Aquino family. There are many surprises. A great read. ( )
  cookiemo | Jan 26, 2014 |

"Escaping an unhappy marriage and an unsatisfactory job, Cassie Holloway moves to the little Australian coastal town of Whitby Point. There she meets the Aquino family, whose fishing business was founded by their ancestor, Giuseppe, an Italian immigrant, some ninety years before. Life for Cassie on the south west coast is sweet as she sets up a successful restaurant and falls in love with Giuseppe's great grandson Michael. But when the family patriarch dies, a devastating family secret is revealed which threatens to destroy her dreams. Cassie's future happiness now rests with her quest for the truth"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,704,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible