The Wager by Rachel Van Dyken

Series: Bet (2)

It was ok. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received this book as a review from Library Thing. 3.75 stars. Really enjoyed the writing itself as well as the main characters, but there were some elements in the plot that were just too manipulative for me to find charming. With that said, I'm interested in reading more both in this series and from this author. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Mar 8, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’ve had my eye on Rachel Van Dyken for a while and when the opportunity came to review The Wager, I couldn’t pass up the chance. Unfortunately, it’s a forgettable book and definitely left me with no desire to read anymore of her books. Ultimately it comes down to her writing and unbelievable characters and situations.

1. The characters are put into some ridiculous situations. For example, Jake and Char are on the same flight and to teach Jake a lesson (after breaking her heart), she initiates a fight that requires the intervention of an air marshal who uses peanuts to subdue Jake. But here’s the kicker-turns out Jake’s allergic to peanuts and you can very well imagine what happens next.

2. In order for Jake and Char to realize they have feelings for each other, they are forced together. I normally don’t mind such situations because it’s a romance and in romances, the hero and heroine have to spend certain amount of time together in order to fall in love. But these two just don’t want to be in each other’s company.

3. While I tend to enjoy over the top characters on occasion, the grandmother in The Wager was just too over the top and became annoying. At one point she name calls one of Jake’s dates and even implies she’s his date. This of course means Jake’s original date is disgusted that Jake is into older women.

4. And of course, Char has to have horrible parents and in order to make for it Jake puts together a last minute birthday party for her to show off to her family that he “cares.” The whole horrible family situation was a bit clichéd.

5. Overall, the writing is clichéd and the situations predictable. I would have enjoyed it more if this didn’t read as a farce. ( )
  winterlillies | Jan 18, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lose a best, lose your heart…

What is it about a junior-high crush that can send an otherwise intelligent woman into a tailspin? TV reporter Char Lynn wishes she knew. Jake Titus is too rich, too handsome, too arrogant: a trifecta that once lured Char into the best night-and worst morning-after of her life. Now they've been thrown together in a wedding party. It's awkward, but survivable… until Jake stops acting like a jerk, and starts acting like the man she'd always hoped he could be.

If watching your brother marry your best friend is weird, being attracted to your best friend's other best friend is downright bizarre. Unfortunately for Jake, Char hasn't forgotten how he once tossed her aside. Worse still, Jake's already-nutty grandma is even crazier about Char. Cue meet-cute shenanigans and all manner of meddling, and somehow, Jake's falling. For Char. Now all he has to do is make her believe it…

I love this series. I'm not entirely sure there are words to describe how much a love this series. I want to cuddle with this series on a winter's night and cook it dinner. In the Bet, we met Jake, Travis, Kacey and the Titus clan, most importantly Grandma Titus. Everyone should have and fear a Grandma Titus. In The Bet, Grandma has determined to unite Travis with the girl he has always loved, but never been able to catch, Kacey, also known as Jake's best-friend. In The Bet, we learn that Jake has not been a nice guy for the last, say several years. His treatment of Kacey is reckless and cruel. Now, in The Wager, Jake is struggling with Travis and Kacey's impending nuptials and since the two got together he has been in a rapid downward spiral – drinking, irresponsible actions with the family empire and hiring prostitutes.

As you can imagine, Grandma decides that she needs to fix Jake's behavior, cuts him off from his money, fires him and follows him home to ensure he gets his act together. Grandma's antics are freaking hilarious. She is a manipulative genius. I thought Lucille from Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor books was good, but she's got nothing on Grandma. She brilliantly orchestrates and manipulates the lives of everyone around her. She bullies, threatens and uses brute force to achieve her ends, which is wildly entertaining for us all.

Despite the fact that Jake is a jerk you almost feel bad for him, considering what Grandma puts him through. I love it when an author can take a jerk and make you fall in love with him and that's what Van Dyken does here. Jake is just so tired of himself. He's drowning in guilt over his past with Kacey and the fallout. He is ashamed, miserable and chock full of self-loathing. He deals with these feelings through drinking and meaningless sex. Char has always loved Jake, she just doesn't like him, especially after she sleeps with him and wakes up alone with a Thank You note and cab fare. Yep, Char's issues with Jake are completely understandable. Unfortunately her best friend Kacey is marrying his brother and they are the maid of honor and best man. Thanks to Grandma Titus, the two are thrown together to help with the planning for the wedding. Hijinks ensue.

Both of these characters are complete smart asses and they excel at giving each other grief. There are so many hilarious situations Grandma puts them in – mating dances, sex toy & costume parties and drug store gift baskets full of things just meant to humiliate. OMG, there are some freaking funny parts in this book that will have you laughing out loud (and possibly snorting – don't tell!)!

The guys in this series are so adorably awkward I want to hug them while I am laughing at them. I love Jake and Travis so much!! I've read the adorable Prologue to The Bet at least a dozen times!!! I puffy heart them so hard...

I cannot wait to see what Grandma has in store for Beth and Jace in The Dare! If you haven't read The Bet or The Wager, you must do so. It should be a law or something.

~Shel ( )
  slay621 | Sep 8, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
So funny! I laughed through most of the book. I loved the bossy/crazy grandma. I read The Bet and i think this book was so much better. I will for sure be looking for more from this author. ( )
  Talaskat | Aug 25, 2014 |

Dyken, Rachel Vanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eby, TanyaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, HachettePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

What is it about a junior-high crush that can send an otherwise intelligent woman into a tailspin? TV reporter Char Lynn wishes she knew. Jake Titus is too rich, too handsome, too arrogant: a trifecta that once lured Char into the best night-and worst morning-after-of her life. Now they've been thrown together in a wedding party. It's awkward, but survivable . . . until Jake stops acting like a jerk, and starts acting like the man she'd always hoped he could be. If watching your brother marry your best friend is weird, being attracted to your best friend's other best friend is downright bizarre. Unfortunately for Jake, Char hasn't forgotten how he once tossed her aside. Worse still, Jake's already-nutty grandma is even crazier about Char. Cue meet-cute shenanigans and all manner of meddling, and somehow, Jake's falling. For Char. Now all he has to do is make her believe it.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rachel Van Dyken's book The Wager was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Rachel Van Dyken is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible