The Dead Room by Robert Ellis

The Dead Room (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Robert Ellis

Member:dougcornelius
Title:The Dead Room
Authors:Robert Ellis
Info:Pinnacle (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read in 2012, Kindle
Rating:***
Tags:Crime novel

The Dead Room by Robert Ellis (2002)

Well written,well developed characters,lots of suspense. I felt the ending didn't provide adequate closer, hence 1/2 star off. It was a good book but the ending was too abrupt. ( )
  dsdmd | Jul 4, 2013 |
Another freebie from Amazon. I really have to stop doing this to myself. I have gotten better and more discerning, but still I get stung now and then. Overall this was pretty flimsy and shocking for the sake of being shocking. Teddy tried to be a “character”, but didn’t quite get there. Same with the killer(s), they weren’t much different than any we’ve seen in 1,000 movies and crime TV shows. I guess it’s getting harder and harder to come up with something the least original. Also, the reason for one killer’s behavior is (of course) due to his mother, but other than some vague hints, we have no idea what she did to the kid. Probably nothing new there either, so maybe we were spared. Evil mothers abound in serial killer-land. Here are some of my notes while reading -

ATM machine - ugh. A peeve. I know it’s common usage, but it still clangs.

Shaved vagina - seriously, men are so dumb.

The modem began screeching - really? in a nice law firm in 2002? Seems off. Other things, too like some big hair on a woman. I can’t remember anyone having big hair in 2002. Things like those and the smoking lead me to believe that it was written a lot earlier, then revised in 2002.

“You’re looking for an animal.” Really? Animals don’t do this to each other. No, it takes a human for this level of outrageous destruction. Animals are not psychotic. Animals are not deliberately cruel. Animals aren’t serial killers. Ugh. This kind of phraseology just makes me squiggle-eyed.

“Smiled like a snake.” Snakes don't have lips.

Phased does not equal fazed. Later, he got it right so someone knows the difference, but one instance slipped by.

“Vega had emptied the clip...” Sigh. Another peeve. Clips don’t have springs. Magazines have springs. Handguns use magazines.

“...the gun … had fired at him.” Why so round-about? The guy shot him. This implies he missed or was erratic in some way. Careless.

The limp...and Nash’s general weirdness gave it away and I guessed his level of participation before the big reveal.

“The crime scene at the Lewis house flashed before Teddy’s eyes.” This seems to happen a lot to Teddy during the first part of the novel, before his transformation into John McClean. Yippie-ki-ay.

“Together … they’d become the world’s next three lepers in a city that didn’t really want any.” Ugh. I don’t mean to keep picking on the guy, but damn this is an awful sentence.

Anyway, I did finish it which is more than I can say for other freebie thrillers I’ve tried and abandoned. I guess that’s something. ( )
  Bookmarque | Jul 1, 2013 |
The book is an interesting read, with vivid characters and landscapes. However, there were several big plot holes and outlandish behavior that was distracted me and tainted the story. ( )
  dougcornelius | Nov 18, 2012 |
I ran across Ellis last year when I saw his mystery City of Fire recommended. It was the first in a new series with a detective named Lena Gamble, and after giving it 4½ stars I searched out the sequel, The Lost Witness, and gave it 4½ stars also. The Dead Room is an earlier suspense thriller about a young civil attorney drawn into a gruesome criminal case in his first few months on the job. At first taking part as a favor to his boss, and certain of the accused man's guilt, he gradually begins to see all is not kosher in Denmark (as it were). His boyhood as the son of an innocent man accused of murder pulls him in several directions, but even as it becomes more and more clear that the physical evidence points towards his client, his due-diligence investigation uncovers anomalies he's drawn to question.

OK, it's a well-used scenario, but Ellis does it justice, and I found myself tearing through it, staying up way too late last night trying to finish it. There are a few rough spots, in particular several places where the details are told, rather than shown, and an ending that stretches a bit too long after the emotional climax is reached. Still, this is quite the page-turner, and with all three of these books now read recently, I'm very surprised Ellis hasn't burst onto the suspense-reading public's consciousness. ( )
  auntmarge64 | Jan 3, 2010 |

A young woman is found, brutally murdered and left on gruesome display in the "safety" of her own home. The atrocity kicks off an investigation into a bizarre string of increasingly disturbing murders, all believed to be perpetrated by someone of unprecedented savagery and cunning. As the city's panic rises, civil attorney Teddy Mack is thrown headlong into the grisly homicide case--and into a world of dirty politics and corrupt justice, where deceptions are as deadly as the killer's twisted secrets. Now, another woman is about to meet the same horrific fate as the others. To end a madman's reign, Teddy must enter his maze--a place of unimaginable terror and shocking revelations.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,695,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible